AppleCare Replacing Cracks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alksion, Mar 8, 2012.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I have a late 2010 white unibody MacBook. The cracks near the hinge are starting to get really bad. I was under impression that Apple was replacing the top shell for free due to a manufactures defect.

Can anyone chime on this or let me know what you have heard related to this issue. Thanks!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's been Apple's policy in the past, but it may be dependent upon your exact model number and where the cracks are located. Your best bet is to make a Genius Bar appointment to see if they can cover it out-of-warranty for you.

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Right, which I will probably do regardless. But I was just seeing if anyone else has gone in out of warranty and whether they helped them or not.

-- I know this is a little bit off topic, but I was actually thinking about selling it. Do you think I should even bother going or do you think it'll obviously be better for resale value?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have. :)

I think the resale value will be better if you give it a try. Really, you don't have much to lose (a little gas, I suppose). :eek:

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks man!

6. Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

When I brought my pre-unibody in to have the palm wrest/keyboard and screen bezel replaced out of warranty recently, the Genius told me the rest of the case wasn't covered, even after I pointed out the cracks around the vents and hinges and the ethernet port.

I don't know if it's different with unibodies. Might as well try?