AppleCare Replacing Cracks?

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I have a late 2010 white unibody MacBook. The cracks near the hinge are starting to get really bad. I was under impression that Apple was replacing the top shell for free due to a manufactures defect.

Can anyone chime on this or let me know what you have heard related to this issue. Thanks!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
That's been Apple's policy in the past, but it may be dependent upon your exact model number and where the cracks are located. Your best bet is to make a Genius Bar appointment to see if they can cover it out-of-warranty for you.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
That's been Apple's policy in the past, but it may be dependent upon your exact model number and where the cracks are located. Your best bet is to make a Genius Bar appointment to see if they can cover it out-of-warranty for you.
Right, which I will probably do regardless. But I was just seeing if anyone else has gone in out of warranty and whether they helped them or not.

-- I know this is a little bit off topic, but I was actually thinking about selling it. Do you think I should even bother going or do you think it'll obviously be better for resale value?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Right, which I will probably do regardless. But I was just seeing if anyone else has gone in out of warranty and whether they helped them or not.
I have. :)

-- I know this is a little bit off topic, but I was actually thinking about selling it. Do you think I should even bother going or do you think it'll obviously be better for resale value?
I think the resale value will be better if you give it a try. Really, you don't have much to lose (a little gas, I suppose). :eek:

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Anhelles
When I brought my pre-unibody in to have the palm wrest/keyboard and screen bezel replaced out of warranty recently, the Genius told me the rest of the case wasn't covered, even after I pointed out the cracks around the vents and hinges and the ethernet port.

I don't know if it's different with unibodies. Might as well try?