AppleCare replacing my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EatMyApple, May 21, 2010.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

After several issues and damage inflicted on my MBP by AppleCare during repairs, they are sending me a new one.

I just have a few questions/concerns about what I was told about the new unit.

My original MBP is the first model of the unibody 15" with the express slot and was a 2.53GHz. Bought November 2009.

The new MBP is coming with the 2.4GHz i5, which they are saying is faster than the 2.53GHz that I had. Only the number is different is 2.4 vs 2.53.

Now I am not complaining at all, free, new, better unit - I'll take it! Just curious if the information I was given has any merit.

Everything else looks to be identical or better. It was just throwing me off that I paid $1999 for the original MBP and instead of swapping for the same unit at the same price, they are going by spec.

So I am just curious how much faster the new 2.4GHz i5 will be over the older 2.53GHz?

Thanks!

2. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

:confused:

Strange they did it by spec and not price. Price is such a definitive measure to work with compared to specs. Would leave a lot less room for confusion.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I believe in this instance it was sort of a hybrid lol.

Yes your new machine will be faster. You paid 1999 for your old mac, and now you are getting a macbook pro that's higher than the base (1799).

alot of the confusion comes in regarding the graphics card. Some people had 512 megs of vram on their old machines and then get 'upgraded' to one with 256 and end up having to argue with apple/

4. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the same thing, but when I compared the i5 2.4GHz and i5 2.53GHZ to my older 2.53GHz - I was closer in comparison with the i5 2.4. So in the end, I am guessing I am getting a better, newer unit nearly identical.

I can't really complain I guess.....a brand new MBP 18 months after original purchase. AppleCare being refunded so that will start over after my 1 year ends. I guess that $200 difference is "depreciation" of my older unit and I'll take it.

AppleCare Customer Service is amazing. Their repair techs - not so much :mad:

5. Lambros macrumors regular

Well, although the processor (i5) is more advanced, your clock speed (2.4 vs. 2.53) is obviously going to make SOME difference. However, the i5 is a much more advanced and newer processor, the C2D is quite old now. So, the real thing you could argue is that although the i5 is more advanced, most programs may not make use of its multi-cores. So, if you were really desperate to argue this, you could. However, the difference between the two in terms of clock speed is very minor, so I would just be happy with what I have. You are being given a much more advanced CPU which will last longer than the C2D will from this point in time. I would settle with what I have if I were you, the difference in clock speed is so minor that the i5 should seem better due to its advanced processing anyway.

6. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that reply in the differences between the processors. I don't feel like arguing with Apple anymore - I had my share in explaining the mistakes during AppleCare "repairs".

I will take the new unit with open arms and be happy! Now I am kinda weary about these overheating and freezing issues I see on the i5 and i7s. More problems to come.....??

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No problems on mine.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wait.

The units aren't identical.

You can't compare clock speeds from two different processor families to derive performance. i5 will be faster than a c2d at the same speed, and a i5 2.4 will be faster than your c2d 2.53

The i5 has a couple of things like turbo boost mem controller etc that make it alot quicker at doing tasks than any c2d.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I think what you need to do is read the terms and conditions to AppleCare, all the answers to your questions would be in there as to what you and Apple agreed to when you bought it. It's really that simple, all the rhetoric being posted here is simply opinions the definitive answer is in writing in the agreement.

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I thought Apple replaced the computer that was similar of the range, ex. low end 15 with low end 15 and high vs high end.

Anyways, the i5 2.4GHz is much faster than the 2.53GHz C2D.
    The C2D 2.53GHz is geekbenched at around 3500.
    My i5 2.4GHz is geekbenched at around 5650.

11. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

No issues with my i7 15" here.

And the 2.4 i5 will be faster than the 2.53 C2D.

The ix series is about 25% faster due to a different build and newer technology.

Also, the i5 has automatic overclocking to around 3GHz for the i5 (don't know the exact, I know my i7 goes to 3.33GHz) and the i5 has hyperthreading.

It will be better than the C2D. ;)

12. apple.gr macrumors regular

To begin with, the i5 is faster than the C2D. BUT if you don't have problem with 17" you can demand to have one because your MBP has an express card slot and you can tell them that this is very important for you. In that way you will have HiRes Screen, i5 2.53GHz and 512 VRAM.

13. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

in my experience, apple was easy to work with about replacements.

I had a 2007 Santa Rosa macbook pro 2.2 ghz core 2 duo

they recently replaced it (for free) with:
    15 in. macbook pro i5 with hi res antiglare screen
    dual link dvi adapter
    apple remote

they wanted to replace it with the baseline 17 in model, but i wanted the smaller screen.