Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
u5CCK0R.png

I've never heard this - I've haven't plugged my iPhone into a computer for several years. Any truth to it?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Well, depends on what the ultimate intent is.

If looking to just erase the phone and take to a square one state, yes, don't need iTunes: erase will take care of that.

But if needing to reinstall OS due to some possible issue with it, yes, iTunes to do a restore, or to access DFU mode.

Reactions: Mlrollin91 and max2

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It’s the idea of using another working computer to fix the computer that is not working, same thing. This paradigm will never change, though in Catalina you use finder to restore your “bricked” iPhone instead of iTunes.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I've never heard this - I've haven't plugged my iPhone into a computer for several years. Any truth to it?
Sounds right to me if you need to restore the OS to the device. Erase all content and settings will set the device back to where it was when you activated it but does not touch the OS that is currently on it. These days with my iPad Pro that’s the only reason I keep my laptop, for possible software failures though I haven’t had to resort to this in years. I also use my laptop as an additional backup device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.