Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
How skanky is this....?

I bought AppleCare for my 15, 2.9, 512, 2017 MBPTB the other day. I received the invoice today only to find that Apple had charged me a VAT rate of 23%, even though I am UK based and should only pay 20%.

When I called them [Apple] explained that it is because they are based in Southern Ireland and they have implemented the EU rate of VAT. They offered to refund the amount so that I could go in store and buy it. However, in store they charge £329 inclusive of the UK rate of 20%...?

Urgo, they have set the price at £329, and then the VAT differentials are tweaked, to meet that amount.

This is so skanky given the amount asked. And this isn't even AppleCare+ which is still not available in the UK for MBP products.

I can't help but feel hand tied, and cheated over this...

Last edited by a moderator:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Within the EU, services sold to consumers have VAT charged at the rate in the supplier's country, not the consumer's. There is no EU VAT rate - 23% is the VAT rate in Ireland. Setting the same price across store and online is perfectly fair and sensible and you'll probably find Apple playing the exact same game in every EU country regardless of whether the local VAT rate is lower or higher than Ireland. By the way the amount you're upset over is only about £8. And don't call me Urgo. :p

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Well aside form the cost itself. I'm UK based and was under the assumption whether rightly or wrongly that I pay 20% VAT, not 23% which saves approx. £9 in taxes.

However, as above and as explained by Apple. It seems my understanding of VAT is wrong and as such I paid an extra £9 in taxes because Apple are based in the Southern Ireland, with a higher rate of VAT.

That's my beef.. Whether it's 9p, £9 or £90 ... I feel that I paid more than should.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Well aside form the cost itself. I'm UK based and was under the assumption whether rightly or wrongly that I pay 20% VAT, not 23% which saves approx. £9 in taxes.

However, as above and as explained by Apple. It seems my understanding of VAT is wrong and as such I paid an extra £9 in taxes because Apple are based in the Southern Ireland, with a higher rate of VAT.

That's my beef.. Whether it's 9p, £9 or £90 ... I feel that I paid more than should.
I still don't understand how you paid more. You were charged £329, correct?

Even if you are a business who claimed back the VAT, you would be better off in this situation.

Reactions: MLVC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.