Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
A few months ago (back in March), a slight bit (and I mean like a few drops, less than 1 ounce) of water was spilled on my late-2008 15" MacBook Pro. As a result, the batter wouldn't charge the the screen would occasionally flicker.

Last Thursday, I sent my computer in for repair to the Apple repair center. They quoted me a price that was out of my range (for the $1200 they were asking, I could get a brand new one), so I declined the repair and had to shipped back to me. I picked it up from my Apple Store yesterday, and found a whole new bunch of issues.

- My wifi does not work. My airport icon says "Wi-Fi: no hardware installed." Nothing shows in system profiler, and I did all of the SMC/PRAM/firmware resets under the advisement of AppleCare over the phone.
- My computer does not sleep; it will either stay on, or boot right back up with the screen closed.
- It does not shut down either, it constantly reboots itself
- (May or may not be related) My operating temps are higher

When I called AppleCare again and went back to my store, they basically gave the me run around saying "Oh, well it's liquid damage. It could happen any time." I find it slightly odd that none of these issues were present, even intermittently, before I sent it in and they've manifested themselves immediately after repair.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? Have any of you had even a slightly similar case where they repaired it? I'm not even asking for a full repair, I just want it back to the state in which I sent it in (namely, getting my wifi working again).

I don't want to accept the fact that I'm basically screwed with this. As a customer, I can at least expect my computer to be returned to me in the same state in which I sent it in. And it's not like this is a data loss issue, this is a full fledged hardware meltdown that seems to be a direct result of whatever their technicians did.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I would go into an Apple Store and explain the issue. Ask if a tech can open it up and check the connections to make sure the previous tech didn't make some mistakes. Any reasonable Apple Store employee will help you out.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
I would probably explain the issue and see if a tech can open it up and check the connections. Any reasonable Apple Store employee will help you out.

I did that at the store today, and he basically just said, "NOOOOPE. Water damage, sorry. Can't do anything."

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Ahhh, I see. Since your warranty is now void you can always crack it open yourself. iFixit has some great guides.

Heh, I wish I had the technical skill to pull off even understanding their guides >.<

But I feel like I shouldn't have to pay, or conduct any repairs myself, if this is the fault of Apple, no?

Everytime I call, I get escalated to a senior technician and they keep telling me that it's just bad timing. I find that a little sketch.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Heh, I wish I had the technical skill to pull off even understanding their guides >.<

But I feel like I shouldn't have to pay, or conduct any repairs myself, if this is the fault of Apple, no?

Everytime I call, I get escalated to a senior technician and they keep telling me that it's just bad timing. I find that a little sketch.
The tech could've done something to mess it up but water damage can also take time to do damage. Honestly, the issues you're having could've come from the water damage.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Well, maybe it just needs to be forced to fully shut down. What I would do, since the battery won't charge, is unplug it from the wall, and let the battery die. Leave it unplugged for a number of hours, and then plug it back in and see if anything changes. In your current situation, I don't really know anything else to tell you aside from taking it apart using an iFixit guide.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you're apprehensive about opening your MacBook Pro (if you've never opened a computer before I would be) maybe a techie friend could help you out? If I knew you personally I'd do it for free just for the geek factor.

vnle

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
My friend was in a similar situation. She did everything she can to get Apple to fix it for her but unfortunately they refused completely. :mad:

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
The Shocking Reality.....

As you can't prove these new symptoms are not a direct result of the liquid that mollested ur MacBook I'd say you are screwed.

Toodaloo

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Apple Care didn't ruin your macbook, you did by spilling water on it. There is no telling what will happen and the rest of these issues could have poped up on their own. Perhaps the tech exacerbated the issues, but it isn't his fault, you spilled water on it.

Sorry, but you are likely going to have to pay for the repair or buy a new computer. Water and electricity don't mix.

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Try this:

Pop the lid off, remove the battery, let it dry for 24 hours at least in a cool environment, once done that, plug it in the wall (without battery) and see what happens.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Try this:

Pop the lid off, remove the battery, let it dry for 24 hours at least in a cool environment, once done that, plug it in the wall (without battery) and see what happens.

This may have worked if the water was just spilt but it was done months ago. I don't think the battery is wet any more.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
This may have worked if the water was just spilt but it was done months ago. I don't think the battery is wet any more.

And water has minerals in it that can cause corrosion. So, if the spill was never properly cleaned up then more than likely something on the logic board is corroding.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Apple store 'geniuses' are bunch of incompetent when it comes to taking apart and fixing the machines. I have had badly screwed up laptops twice at two different stores - in one case it wasn't even assembled properly - there were gaps and half turned screws. I had them send it to service center finally.

So even though I am not surprised they made your situation worse - I think your admittance of liquid damage pretty much means you will have tough time getting them to fix it without spending a lot of money.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Apple store 'geniuses' are bunch of incompetent when it comes to taking apart and fixing the machines. I have had badly screwed up laptops twice at two different stores - in one case it wasn't even assembled properly - there were gaps and half turned screws. I had them send it to service center finally.

So even though I am not surprised they made your situation worse - I think your admittance of liquid damage pretty much means you will have tough time getting them to fix it without spending a lot of money.

Apple Store didn't do it. It was sent in to the repair center.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Just don't spill, and your Macbook will be chill.

I dislike seeing others suffer from such small little accidents. It makes me feel sad... for the machine. I kid, I kid!

I recommend finding out exactly what is wrong with it, what needs to be replaced and look on iFixit.com. I used that site for anything wrong with my Apple stuff which is already voided from warranty. Just be patient and breathe, it'll work out sometime soon.

Then again, I'm the guy who dropped his first iPhone in a clean toilet (while on the phone, pinched between my head and shoulder, washing my hands in the sink), a the replacement in half a cup of beer and showered with the iPhone 4 (which I still have).

Amazing thing is, even though I had my stuff water/beer damaged... They still turned on and worked (except for the touchscreen).

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
From the time you spilled water to the time apple received the laptop, how much time had elapsed. How much time had passed before you sent it in.

You could submerge a laptop and it would be dry in 48 hours providing you open it and don't stick it in a dank basement.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Bummer. But there's a whole lot of territory between "a few drops" and "an ounce".

Regardless, water and computers obviously don't mix particularly well and anything that occurs as a result of a spill seems to me to be squarely in your court. Did Apple repair folks damage it further? Who knows. But one might reasonably expect a cascade of problems after a spill. Recommend you follow the suggestions in the iFixIt path - perhaps you can find a friend with the necessary skills to help out.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Aside from the fact you would be suing over like $500, something tells me Apple's lawyers make the "dream team" look like highschool jv bench warmers.

Yeah I know I'm comparing criminal and civil, but you get the idea.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
When I called AppleCare again and went back to my store, they basically gave the me run around saying "Oh, well it's liquid damage. It could happen any time." I find it slightly odd that none of these issues were present, even intermittently, before I sent it in and they've manifested themselves immediately after repair.
I don't want to accept the fact that I'm basically screwed with this. As a customer, I can at least expect my computer to be returned to me in the same state in which I sent it in. And it's not like this is a data loss issue, this is a full fledged hardware meltdown that seems to be a direct result of whatever their technicians did.

I can't say definitively without seeing the machine, but due to the spill, I'm sticking with the crowd saying it's your fault. Things do fail months after the spill, and the simple act of opening the machine up can cause things to change. That doesn't make it their fault--it's still your fault for spilling on it.

You should have had someone clean it out immediately. That would have given you the best chance of the least amount of damage, but by waiting for months and continually using the machine, you've damaged it further, and that again is your fault.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Do this:

If you can get it up and runnning: Clone your hard drive and put in a new hard drive. Do a complete re-install of the OS and see if it works. if it does, then restore from your clone. If it is a no-go, you might have to buy a logic board and have someone put it in for you. Probably under $500.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
If you can get it up and runnning: Clone your hard drive and put in a new hard drive. Do a complete re-install of the OS and see if it works. if it does, then restore from your clone. If it is a no-go, you might have to buy a logic board and have someone put it in for you. Probably under $500.

According to iFixit, it will be 800 just for the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.