Applecare Running Out on an Unreliable Macbook 2,1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thirdykal, Jan 27, 2010.

1. thirdykal macrumors member

Hey guys, first post!

I bought my Macbook Mid-2007, so it's the one with the Intel GMA945. Since purchase this Macbook has been nothing but trouble, in both hardware and software departments (at one point clicking the bluetooth icon would cause a kernel panic...). Luckily I bought Applecare. The full list of problems that were serviced by my Apple Service Center are as below.

- Cracking all along the oustide of the keyboard, but that's common.
    - On my second hard drive, the first died within a few months of purchase.
    - Second Superdrive, the first motor died and wouldn't eject discs, nor would it burn dual layer dvd's.
    - Motherboard died after a year of use, only time the motherboard was replaced just because of a motherboard problem.
    - Motherboard replaced again after the sound card crapped out.
    - Motherboard replaced AGAIN after ethernet jack failed.
    - Going on my third fan now, hopefully the fan I ordered will arrive tomorrow, the thing sounds like it's tearing apart my poor Macbook. I listen to metal music, and even on max volume the fan is clearly audible. Skype conversations for the other person using the Mac inbuilt microphone are basically unbearable.

With this plethora of problems, would this warrant a replacement by Apple before my Applecare runs out this August? The only problem is I live in China, so I only get 'licensed Apple Service Centers', not an official one. I do travel back to the States often, BUT I'm not sure how well documented these problems were by the Chinese centers.

Thanks in advance!

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I don't know a whole bunch about Matu('piece of')shita drives, but I'm pretty sure they don't burn DVDL's as a standard.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

MacBooks with Superdrives have been able to burn dual-layer dvds since late 2006 - more than 3 years now.

I am very surprised that you have had 3 replacement motherboards - an AppleStore would have replaced the machine by now surely....

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I always say that when buying a Mac you're signing a contract to not kill yourself if your machine dies and you have to trash it because fixing it costs you almost as much as a new machine also, here in Mexico we have no official apple stores, just Service centers and authorized distributors, and they replaced my iPod Touch once, maybe just try to tell them that this computer has so many issues and that you want a replacement or just hope that your computer will die before the warranty runs out and go to Apple in the US and tell them to replace the computer

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you haven't gotten a replacement by now and you're not currently having problems, I don't see how you'd get a replacement unit under Applecare.

6. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

OH! I forgot to mention my ethernet port crapped out again. So that's another motherboard that needs to be replaced, a pretty major part.

7. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I'm unfamiliar with Chinese lemon laws, but here in the US if it keeps failing for the same reason (motherboard in this case) more than three times, lemon law states that the device should be replaced. Laws vary state by state, though. Try seeing if there is such a law in China?

Steve