Applecare scammed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kafuka, Nov 16, 2009.

1. kafuka macrumors newbie

I recently purchased an AppleCare agreement for my unibody MBP off ***** on ebay. I registered it but it said that the registration was still in progress. Things take time so I checked again today (I bought it two weeks ago) and it still was "processing". Being annoyed, I called Apple and they told me that ***** had purchased the agreement then refunded it the next day, then gave me the invalid agreement number.

I should have asked him to give me the entire box with the serial number and receipt included not just the code (I was confident of buying AppleCare off eBay having done so successfully many times in the past.)

I filed a report to eBay and going to file one to paypal soon. Any advice to give?

edit: Removed seller name as he provided a full refund.

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

don"t buy applecare from Ebay.......

there are threads like this everyday.

3. kafuka thread starter macrumors newbie

Contacted eBay and paypal. Got a full refund.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks like you handled it correctly. I purchased AppleCare 4 times from eBay and was always careful (checked the buyer out and got the boxes) but you never know.

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

6. b01189 macrumors member

Yea... to get a full refund off a service from Ebay is about one in a million shot :eek:

Odds are you will not be this lucky again....

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should have kept the seller's name, so we would know who the scammers are.

Most scammers will give you the refund because they fear that you will give them up to others and believe that the refund would appease you (which it did in this case).

8. ttran88 macrumors regular

I was going to buy apple care off ebay also. What was the sellers name so I Know.

9. chill. macrumors 6502

most scammers would NOT provide a refund. the seller in question was probably legit, some sellers get sold batches of hundreds of applecare codes for discount bulk prices which worked great in the past, and apple has recently begun to crack down on code-only applecare

check out the ebay applecare thread

if you are buying applecare from ebay make sure to buy a physical box with a serial number. it will be more expensive than just code-only but you can prove to apple it's legit with the serial

10. kafuka thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my thought exactly. I didn't post the user's name because it might just have been a mishap; though I won't buy from him again though. Worst case I'll just buy from Amazon.