AppleCare Scams On eBay: Buyer Beware!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mojo1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I think that this should be a "sticky" thread due to the prevalence of Applecare Scams on eBay. But in the absence of such a thread I am posting a private message that I sent someone in connection with a thread on buying on eBay.

I have also been scammed by eBay sellers offering Applecare. Sellers who e-mail the serial number resell the same serial number to multiple buyers.

Apple's online Applecare registration system will accept multiple registrations of the same serial number. The buyer thinks that the registration is valid and discovers a problem only when it comes time to use the extended warranty. By that time it is usually too late to contest the sale via PayPal or your credit card under their rules. And the scammer's eBay account is long-gone, either closed by the seller or eBay in response to buyer complaints.

Apple considers the first online registration to be the only valid registration; subsequent registrations are invalid. Apple really should update its system so that only one Applecare registration is accepted and subsequent registration attempts are rejected so that unwitting Applecare buyers are immediately notified of a problem with their warranty.

There are also reports of counterfeit Applecare boxes being sold on eBay. It's a jungle out there!

I only use my credit card when paying via PayPal. If PayPal refuses to do right by the buyer a credit card issuer will often side with the buyer. But I have read that PayPal account holders who exercise their credit card protection rights risk having their PayPal account cancelled.

Over the years I have consistently found the best Applecare prices at the L.A. Computer Company. When I checked around a week ago the price for a 13" MBP was $3 less than the Apple education discount. The L.A. Computer Co. is an authorized Apple reseller so you won't have a problem with an Applecare warranty purchased from the company. It ships a box to the buyer who then registers the warranty online using the serial number on the box. (The eBay counterfeit boxes typically lack any registration number...)

Considering the number of eBay Applecare scams I think that it is prudent to avoid buying Applecare on eBay. If a deal seems to be too good to be true, it usually is, so don't become another victim and listen to your intuition.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

eBay is well known for NOT being the place to buy Applecare.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There have been numerous threads here on MR warning of eBay scams relating to Apple Care
    This is one of the larger ones

Buyer Beware
    If it seems to be too good to be true, it usually is

4. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

It May Be Well Known...

... but it bears repeating because people are still being scammed on eBay.

The link posted above is for a 2009 thread that will be missed unless you do a search on the subject, which is why a sticky thread is appropriate IMO.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

A scam on ebay? A scam on Craigslist?

I appreciate the effort to warn us, but you might as well just make a thread saying that un-authorized sales of apple products may be scams. Of course, that's why we have authorized resellers, so I'm not sure exactly what you want to say here. Use common sense when you buy? If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is?

If we need to sticky this, then we need to sticky all of the emails from my mom warning me not to open attachments to emails because of virus [fill in the blank here].

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Searching the web not even just MR will give you tons of first page hits about AppleCare + eBay = no no

7. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I Guess That I Wasted A Little Of My Time...

...creating this thread. But I just had to copy-and-paste a private message I had already written.

But don't you guys have better things to do? No one is forced to read a thread if it is a waste of their time to do so.

Sheesh... Such scolds! :rolleyes: