Applecare Scratches Report Here

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacPil0T, Nov 13, 2008.

1. MacPil0T macrumors member

So my MacBook Pro was thought to be perfect but the DVD drive is acting up. At first I noticed it when I tried to reinstall Leopard when it first arrived, it wouldn't read the Leopard DVD but it would read the Applications DVD. I called up Applecare and they sent me a new Leopard DVD. When that arrived I tried it and it did not work. This got me to thinking so I hooked up an external DVD drive and viola, the original Leopard install DVD read perfectly. I have since burned several DVDs(SL and DL) and CDs and they have been fine. But just today the drive failed twice in a row when trying to burn a DL DVD. I will attempt a third but I don't think it will end up well. Combine that with the not reading part and I think I may have to send this in to Applecare eventually.

My question is twofold. I purchased this off ebay brand new in the box 8 days ago.

Can I go to an Apple store and exchange it? If so can I keep my original HD?

If I have to send it in to Apple care how many people here have done that and had scratches on their machines when they are returned? I've sent my 06 BlackBook in several times and the last time had it mauled.:eek:

Thanks in advance.

2. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

An Apple Store will only swap it for you if it was bought from an Apple Store originally, and if they sold it less than 28 days ago.
    They can get all this info from the serial number, so you don't need a receipt.

If the computer was originally bought from elsewhere (even the Apple Online) or if it is more that 28 days old, they will just book it in for repair.

3. MacPil0T thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I will have to send it in for repair. Should I be worried about scratches? Is it common to have more scuffs coming back from Apple then when I sent it in?

Also I just tried burning the DL DVD in toast and I got this error:

"The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x09, 0x01
    TRACKING SERVO FAILURE"

I think the drive really is fubar at this point..

4. jdwingnut macrumors regular

You can certainly take it into an Apple Store and see what they may or may not do for you. You have nothing to loose but a bit of your time for walking it into the store, and considering you've already waited for the replacement install DVD, this may not be to painful for you.

It is ALWAYS possibly that they will just swap it out and give you a new one instead of repairing it. Just ask nice. It sounds like you're already prepared for the worst at this point, which would be sending it in.