AppleCare Sent Me Back My MBP HD Empty w/ SL Re-Installed! But why?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Feb 5, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I sent in my MBP to applecare a week ago with my 500GB HD...because the trackpad wasn't working. They replaced the trackpad but..

I got MBP back earlier today and in the package a letter saying they reinstalled Snow Leopard on my 500GB HD. So now I have my HD with Snow Leopard completely empty.

I'm wondering what would make them do this? I'm sure it could be any # of reasons but specifically what? I'd like to know what would have led them to have to do this?

Luckily I have an external HD that saved the important stuff.....but i'd really like to know why applecare did that..

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When you sent in the MacBook Pro, they gave you a warning that the HD might be wiped, and that you'd be wise to backup.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but either way always backup before sending any computer in for repairs.

I actually wipe my HD before sending my computer in, just cuz (I don't want them snoopin' around my files over there, though I'm sure they don't have time nor give a crap).

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Oh lord that sucks. I can't think of a reason why it needed to be done... maybe it was a different type of trackpad that needed a fresh install of the latest to work :confused:

I think it was what they would call a "Momentary Blip" or in our words a monumental cock up.

I do hope you had your stuff backed up. I think Apple's customer service has dropped in standards quite dramatically.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you don't even read the things you sign your name to, it's completely your fault. It's a single sided A4 sheet, with no small print on it either.

As ravenvii mentioned, it's on the sheet you sign to give Apple the authority to repair your machine, it's right on the front, warning you that your data may be wiped.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When you hand over your Mac for repair you sign a repair sheet to authorise the work. I know that it has warned that the hard drive may be wiped and the OS re-installed and you should back up your data for at least the last five years and probably a lot longer.

I don't see it as an indication that Apple's customer service has dropped.