AppleCare Service Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tmrodden, Aug 27, 2013.

1. tmrodden macrumors newbie

I am buying a used iPhone 4S that is still under AppleCare warrenty until December. It has a broken front screen and a finicky power button. Will Apple still repair the iPhone for free or not? Thanks!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They will not repair the screen, it's most likely from a drop. Because of that, they may not even repair the lower button as they may assume the damage was a result of the drop.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Have the seller fix it under Applecare and then sell it to you. If he can't get it fixed (Applecare versus Applecare+) then you won't be able to either. Why buy a broken phone you can't fix or that will cost you money to fix when the seller can get it fixed before he sells it?

4. tmrodden thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. The phone has already shipped, but I'm saved of waiting to see if they'd accept it.

5. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Damaged case

Speaking of damaged devices. Would Apple replace a device (for an unreleated defect) if you have a damaged case, say, from a drop but the glass is fine?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They most likely will claim it was caused by the impact and physical damage and refuse to service it for free. They will send it back.

7. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I think they'd have to prove cause and effect. If that was the case (just thinking), pretty much everyone has a ding or dent on their device. They could use the same argument on them. We and Apple genius know very well that their cases are very easily dented or scuffed.