Applecare Service?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Celeron, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If your Mac needs repair are you required to bring it an Apple Store / Apple Repair location? I'm computer savvy and have been building / troubleshooting my owns PCs now for over 10 years. I would prefer that Apple send the parts to me so that I can swap it out, assuming the problem is straight forward, failed hard drive, bad power supply, bad super drive, etc. Is that possible? Has anyone ever pushed to get this done?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I bought a $3k Mac Pro, I would have little desire to lug it through the mall to the nearest Apple store.

2. Roba macrumors 6502

No i cannot see this working for one Apple will have to take your word for it that your product has the fault that you claim it to. Apple also dumps those old working parts that are not working and do not let customers hold onto them.

Apple also do not like people who are not accredited Apple repair people to tamper inside with products that are in warranty. Although some people may do this they would not approve of this unless you were officially Apple trained.

3. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, shortly after I posted that I read through the terms of the Applecare service. "Do it yourself" replacement is available on some parts, however it doesn't specify which ones. As expect, a "do it yourself" repair requires a credit card for the parts to be shipped in the event that the defective parts not available.

4. Roba macrumors 6502

It states this-
    Obtain genuine Apple, Do-It-Yourself (DIY) parts, which are customer installable and typically include replacement keyboards, mice, power cables, memory, and modem cables

Some computers have easy access in order to upgrade some parts like the memory or hard drive but if it involved dismantling a computer product when it is warranty i cannot see Apple giving the go ahead for that unless you were maybe an accredited Apple tech.

In your first post you asked how you would you get a defective item to Apple to be repaired. If you have Applecare service where i live anyway Apple will send a courier to come and pick your product up for you and return it to you so you do not have to cart it to a repair shop yourself.