AppleCare so worth it!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bniu, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

When I bought my top of the line 17" MBP, as a student, I had the opportunity to buy AppleCare for just $239 and it also covered my Thunderbolt Display. No problems until this past week with just 5 months left on AppleCare when I noticed my TBD had some "fog" like on one side of my screen. Turns out the panel was no longer working right, and got the TBD panel replaced (LED panel would've costed over $800!). Then, my MBP battery started to go bad just 300 cycles in and got it replaced for free (saved $200), then my GPU started to go have problems and I got the entire logic board replaced and saved another $530. So let's see, $239 let me duck almost about $1500 of repairs, not bad I'd say...

At the time that I bought it, I did it solely because money was tight as a student and I didn't want to potentially have to deal with hefty repair costs. Figured it was better to just create a fixed cost of $239 and not have constantly worry if the MBP would crap out on me.

Even if I never had problems, I still felt that $239 over two years was well worth the peace of mind that I didn't have to worry about potential issues cropping up with my MBP and TBD.

2. Yell0w macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing your story. I still have some time left before my 1 year limited warranty runs out, so I will be searching for some type of a discount.

3. yinz macrumors 6502a

I'm debating this issue right now. Do you mind if I ask how did you get the Applecare for so cheap?

4. Yell0w macrumors regular

I believe he had the student discount attached to it.

5. yinz macrumors 6502a

Interesting.. I didn't realize Applecare had an education discount. Maybe my area is different, but my Applecare isn't that cheap here even with the discount...

6. Idefix macrumors 6502

7. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

Apple care with student discount can be bought via the online education store when first purchasing your computer. If you bought a computer w/out AppleCare, and if you are less than a year from purchase, you can still get AppleCare via online or in the store at full price. If you want the education discount post purchase for AppleCare, then you must order it via 1-800-MY-APPLE.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

What model you have? B&H Photo sells the Applecare for the 13 inch machines for $179.99. They even offer autoenroll, which I have used and works like a charm (they would activate within a few hours and send you the paperwork over the mail)

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Sadly Apple Quality is so random nowadays that paying for Apple Care is still a need.
    Those who have MacBooks a no Apple Care, I think the depot repair for $300 is another alternative, obviously it will cover only the MacBook.
    Are they still doing those?

10. alent1234 macrumors 603

my MBP the hard drive died and i didn't have apple care
    $130 and i bought a new one from best buy with twice the space and it was a hybrid SSD model and now my MBP is a lot faster

11. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Here's the thing with purchasing AppleCare:

If we buy it and don't use it, we'll whine how we wasted the money.

If we buy it and have one expensive repair like a display or a logic board, we'll be really thankful.

Plenty of guys have not purchased it in the past and have made out; however, with these newer totally integrated machines, I wouldn't be without it.

I only wish they offered 4 year warranty's and accident coverage.

12. Ai-apple macrumors regular

Totally agree with you.

13. Yell0w macrumors regular

Thanks, I should check how much it is after NY tax.

----------

I have the 2013 MBA model. Do they charge tax to certain States?

14. seinman macrumors regular

Not true. I bought AppleCare a few days before the initial year expired, in an Apple store. I didn't even know about the student discount and was ready to pay full price. The Sales guy at the store asked if I was in school, I lied and said yes (I had graduated a year prior) and he put the discount on for me.

15. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

It may be up to the store's discretion or this may be a new thing. I just called my local apple store 3 days ago and called the 1-800 number an hour later. Either ways, don't pay full price if you think you are eligible for the discount :)

16. raybies macrumors member

You do realise Apple isn't a charity and they only sell products that generated a positive return.
    So logically it is not worth it for the buyer, or Apple wouldn't sell it.
    Sure a minority will come out better... but the majority won't.

Insurance 101.

17. Prise macrumors regular

Right, the premise is based on the "law of large numbers." For the overwhelming majority, the insurance is not worth the cost, but is so for the minority who experiences the loss.

Basically, if everyone buys Apple Care, the more cost effective the insurance would be, since there will be a larger number of people with trouble free computers paying premiums to repair those will troublesome ones.

It's a matter of choice, but given the inordinately short lifespans of computer products (less so now post Moore's law days), it's more prudent to pass on Apple Care and self insure, in my view.

18. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

What kind of flawed logic is that?

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Of course if Apple charged regular prices for their replacement parts, it would be much less of a "bargain".

20. Prise macrumors regular

Right, almost every Apple part can be acquired at a better price elsewhere. I've often been surprised at the universal acclaim and recommendations to buy Apple care. I've seen the 5 star rating for this product the past 15 or 20 years, and have often wondered if there's a bandwagon effect here.

I'm not suggesting Apple care isn't worth it. It surely is in some cases, but to suggest that it is suitable universally for all users of all Apple's products is, to me, pure folly.

In the end, it's nothing but insurance. With all insurance, judge the premium vs. the need to transfer the risk. Computers are basically perishable items with a shelf life of about 3 years.

In other words, I find it better to replace rather than "fix" or "upgrade." Anyway, for an extra year of warranty (though a lesser version) can be had simply by using an American Express card.

21. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I never bought applecare and never needed it. The only problem I had was an hard drive crash of a drive I installed myself. This one was replaced under waranty by my local reseller.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think that the advantage is that AppleCare covers most of the Apple peripherals that you use with your Mac, therefore if you indeed run into problems during the coverage you can get it replaced.
    And as you stated if your product is obsolete (or no longer available) you get a newer model to replace the defective one.
    Can someone else shine some light on what items are also covered in addition to the Mac?

23. Bear macrumors G3

• Your Mac computer
    • Included accessories such as the power adapter
    • Apple memory (RAM)
    • AirPort (AirPort must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.)
    • Apple USB SuperDrive (for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro with Retina display, iMac, and Mac mini)
    • Apple display purchased with your Mac

24. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

How is it flawed? Virtually any insurance/warranty program is designed in such a way that the majority will lose. It is as it must be.

Personally, I reserve insurance purchases for those things that would be financially ruinous...health insurance, homeowners insurance, auto insurance...those things in which you could find yourself hundreds of thousands in debt if you end up being "the one."

But consumer electronic items? Nah. Would I be bummed if my $2000 laptop took a dump after 366 days? Sure. But it wouldn't kill me and it probably won't happen, and has never happened with any of the 7 or 8 non-Apple laptops I've personally owned. If a macbook is so delicate and prone to failure that it "needs" a year 2 and 3 warranty to keep it going then I'll be selecting a different one next time around.

I get the idea of someone preferring a certain fixed cost as opposed to an uncertain variable cost, but the notion that Apple Care is some sort of necessity is ludicrous, especially for a brand that touts its superior quality.

25. Prise macrumors regular

I surmise that in some cases, the reasons for suggesting Apple Care as a must would be predicated on the following: (1) recommending it as a necessity is a form of positive reinforcement for the individual who purchased it; (2) the more people who buy the insurance, the better their own insurance will be; (3) and, finally, if people bought them in less quantities, Apple Care would either have to increase premium, or cease to exist altogether.