AppleCare Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slimsakus, Jul 2, 2007.

1. slimsakus macrumors member

So, I have not received my iMac yet (tomorrow probably), but I was curious about something that by searching did not give me an answer.

I received my AppleCare package in the mail and it came with a CD. It said it was for diagnostics and what not. Is this something that is truly an important thing to install? I hate having non needed programs installed. Just curious if I should worry about this too much and really, what is it's purpose?

I read about people doing restores and restoring permissions or something, I have no idea as to what all that means or does here in the mac world, so...clarification on this stuff would be nice so I am not so ignorant.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. sfisher macrumors regular

You do not need to install the diagnostic software unless you/Apple suspect a hardware problem with your computer. It tests various components of the hardware and may be able to tell you/Apple what the problem is. Don't worry about it.

I do not think I have ever had to repair permissions on my drive to fix a problem and I've had a Mac for about 3 years. I will let someone else answer that question that knows more about what it does ;)

3. slimsakus thread starter macrumors member

Well to be honest, I could be totally making it up in head what I read. I just thought I read stuff about permissions or something and just was not sure what that meant.

Thanks for the advice about the AppleCare stuff.