Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is internally testing a new ChatGPT-like generative AI tool that will enable employees to offer faster technical support going forward.

Apple-Support-App-General-Feature.jpg

Apple recently launched a pilot program that provides select AppleCare support advisors with access to a new tool called "Ask" that can automatically generate responses to technical questions they receive from customers, according to information obtained by MacRumors. Advisors can then relay the info to customers in online chats or on the phone.

"Ask" will automatically respond to a query with relevant information from Apple's internal knowledge base, and advisors can rate an answer as "helpful" or "unhelpful." Advisors can ask up to five follow-up questions per topic. Apple said it plans to make the tool available to more advisors in the future, after collecting feedback.

Apple encourages participating advisors to use "Ask" before using traditional search methods or consulting a senior advisor for info, and it says the tool is useful for solving complex or unfamiliar issues. As the tool is linked to Apple's internal knowledge base, the company ensures that the responses are factual, traceable, and useful.

An example of a query that "Ask" can respond to: "A customer is unable to update their device to iOS 13.7. What can be done?"

Apple is expected to adopt generative AI in a major way this year. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said iOS 18 will include many new generative AI features across Siri, Spotlight, Messages, Health, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, and more, and he was first to report that the AppleCare team would use generative AI to speed up customer support. This is the first time that details about Apple's internal "Ask" tool have been reported.

On an earnings call earlier this month, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company was working on generative AI and would share details "later this year." iOS 18 is expected to be announced at Apple's annual developers conference WWDC in June, and the update should be released to all users with a compatible iPhone in September.

Generative AI surged in popularity in late 2022 when OpenAI released ChatGPT, a chatbot that can respond to text and voice prompts. The chatbot is trained on large language models, allowing it to respond like a human. OpenAI has also developed tools that can automatically generate images and videos based on text prompts.

Article Link: AppleCare Support Advisors Testing New ChatGPT-Like Tool 'Ask'

Last edited:

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
a new tool called "Ask" that can automatically generate responses to technical questions they receive from customers

I hope I can figure out how to do a six-fingered gesture on my trackpad the next time I call Apple Support!
;-)

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
This.. is actually very smart. Having a controlled dataset is great for accuracy and search ability. A computer can search through a knowledge base much faster than a human could. As long as it doesn’t eventually phase out human jobs, and instead enhance them (multitasking?) I’m all for this.

Not to mention the mandatory rating afterwards, that will help it improve its reliability.

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
This is probably similar to NVIDIA's "Chat With RTX", which is basically just an intelligent search engine that can answer questions based on the documents you provide. It can't create anything new. It's pretty cool.
As a writer, I would love a feature like this, to be able to ask what my existing notes say about an event or a character. It can be daunting to backtrack to find my notes when I’m working on something.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Full AI Applecare Support is not far off. Not sure how I feel about it, but it doesn’t matter because Apple‘s gonna do what’s best for their bottom line. It‘s possible it could just be as bad as it is now, so that means it has the potential to be an improvement.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I remember chatting with a Lufthansa chatbot. I explained my problem in Detail and the responds was basically "I don't understand your question. Could you ask something simpler?".

I feel not taken seriously if I have an issue with a product or service and the company does everything to avoid talking to me in person.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
That's fine by me. Go ahead and replace the front line support with AI. Most front line support I've dealt with in the last couple years has been utterly useless, including apple. Elevated support hasn't been much better either.
I second the notion made by an earlier poster that the input you can get from people on this forum is better than any you'll get with the official source. People on here are actually using their stuff and not just reading legal-approved scripted responses designed to cram in as many calls as possible in any given shift.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Hoping that the customer support quality does not reduce due to this. Expecting to see Apple use AI across their software this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.