Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesteramma

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
For me, I'm not sure if I like the new look of iOS 7. Some things I like, some things I don't.

But I don't care much about the looks. I care about functionality. And now that I've been using iOS 7 on my iPod Touch since beta 1, I can say that I much prefer iOS 7.

When it comes to the basics of everyday use for me, having Control Center is awesome. And being able to pause/play music and adjust the volume in the lock screen is great too.

For me, those two things alone make me prefer iOS 7. :D

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So you are comparing painting four static walls a new color to a complete UI redesign of an operating system?

It has new colors. They took the square of the button away but left the text as the button. How are is that to understand?

As was quoted. It has the same functionality, it just looks different.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
It has new colors. They took the square of the button away but left the text as the button. How are is that to understand?

As was quoted. It has the same functionality, it just looks different.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, I just don't think it's as simplistic as the example you used.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.

Yup, says it all right there.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.

Your bolding is misleading. Let me change it.

"Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Most apps. I wouldn't want the functionality in my apps to change; I bought them in order to perform their specific functionality.

At a minimum, Control Center solves a problem that many people have. In fact, I've seen many people say they go through all the trouble of jailbreaking just for that. Control Center alone will save lots of people headaches and time.

But there's also VASTLY improved multitasking and cloud-based password management that will save people time and hassle.

So it's not just "looks different". The argument that it's just a bunch of new icons is tired and wrong.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Something that still really bugs me in iOS 7 that I think will tick off a lot of users is the Weather in Notification Center. It's a huge downgrade from the previous version. You have to read a sentence of text to get the weather instead of glancing—and beyond that, it often doesn't even show you the current temperature. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. It's up the the phone to randomly decide! I hope that is fixed for Gold Master. I'd also like to know how someone could go about creating animated wallpapers. There are only two included in the OS. Hopefully they at least add more options.

I'm still not much of a fan of the thinner icons used in apps like Safari. At first glance they all look the same on the bottom—essentially three boxes with slight variation. Even after months on iOS 7 I still sometimes get confused and tap the wrong thing if I'm going too fast. I also find myself not using tabs too often as it just keeps making new tabs. It eventually gets to 25 and then keeps reloading into the same tab. It's usually around then that I just close all my tabs by swiping one at a time.

Apps updating in the background is welcome, but I wish the App Store actually notified me rather than just showing up as an alert in notification center with no banner, no lock screen, no sound. It can be jarring when you're going into a folder to tap an icon and it's gone—or rather the icon has changed unexpectedly. I fear older people might have trouble with this.

Even though it has improved during the beta process, I still think the unified URL/search bar is more difficult to use because of the cramped keyboard. I often hit the period while typing a search query because I have dictation and the international keyboard (globe key) turned on for Emoji. I'm thinking about ditching Emoji to make the keyboard less cramped. I miss the simplicity of having a separate keyboard for search and URL. The URL keyboard had a .com button, as well as period and slash.

Control center needs customization options. I hardly ever use airplane mode—but I often use personal hotspot. Not sure why I can't swap out those toggles instead.

Overall iOS 7 is a very nice improvement. It just needs a little additional work. I had to use my wife's iPhone on iOS 6 the other day and it looked extremely dated. It almost seemed like an older iPhone to me, even though it's the same iPhone 5. The gloss is extremely distracting, and the icons look dull and boring. Trust me when I say you get used to the look and feel. I kept trying to swipe back in Safari, and tried to use control center to quickly flick on the flashlight and later to connect to airplay. It's crazy how much I've acclimated to the new features and would have a hard time living without them. The only icons that really bug me are the more solid colored white ones, like Reminders, Notes, Voice Memos, Calendar. They all look fairly similar. I wish Calendar had kept the red across the top and the font still seems thin to me. Camera and Facetime seem uninspired. Funny enough, I've kind of grown to like the Safari icon. It's a frequently used app and it pops more now. I just wish the icons were a little more consistent as a group.

But anyway, you won't miss the silly visual metaphors after using iOS 7 for a month or two. It really opened up my eyes to why some Android users would make fun of us: the OS really looked 2007, which was ahead of it's time back then, but still. It's something that you can't be told if you use it all the time. Pull out one of your old devices in a few months and you'll get what I mean. Another thing iOS 6 UI has over iOS 7, even still this late in the beta, is that it's still a bit snappier with the animations. Even on my 4th gen development iPod Touch at work running iOS 6, certain things about the OS seem snappier than my iPhone 5 on iOS 7. I think they need to speed up the keyframing for certain animations. The iPhone 5 feels smooth, but it just seems to take longer to click through folders and such or open up an app and wait a split longer for it to zoom into the screen. I think this can be easily fixed.

iOS 7 is a bit different beast than iOS 6 and I think Apple is smart to train up extra employees. Saying that it's mostly similar isn't exactly truthful, because many icons, colors, buttons, etc have changed. And those are things that people like my parents and grandparents latch onto and remember. I worry I'll be fielding quite a few calls come mid-September from the family.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Your bolding is misleading. Let me change it.

Most apps. I wouldn't want the functionality in my apps to change; I bought them in order to perform their specific functionality.

At a minimum, Control Center solves a problem that many people have. In fact, I've seen many people say they go through all the trouble of jailbreaking just for that. Control Center alone will save lots of people headaches and time.

But there's also VASTLY improved multitasking and cloud-based password management that will save people time and hassle.

So it's not just "looks different". The argument that it's just a bunch of new icons is tired and wrong.

So is the idea that Apple could/should have reinvented the mobile OS in a matter of 7 months. Who knows what iOS 8, 9 or 10 will be? iOS 7 was just the beginning.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
People only realize how important design is when they're forced to deal with bad design. Yes iOS 7 is a mostly cosmetic, design driven overhaul, but it's quite impactful on user experience.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008

Says it all, really.

Yeah, pretty well what Apple is all about these days. Form over function.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
I also find myself not using tabs too often as it just keeps making new tabs. It eventually gets to 25 and then keeps reloading into the same tab. It's usually around then that I just close all my tabs by swiping one at a time.

Seriously? I thought Safari finally had unlimited tabs. From what you're saying, it only goes up to 25?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
really? training for iOS7? Its basically the same damn OS with a fresh coat of paint....

i fail to see how complicated ControlCenter is..

Actually no. iOS7 has a ton of new features UI and deep down. I feel what you say here is an insult to Jon Ive and the crew who had to fix up the Forstall iOS and turn it into something good (which in the limited time they had, did an amazing job)

[edit] This topic has been edited by the MR staff. (ie posts deleted)

Last edited:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Something that still really bugs me in iOS 7 that I think will tick off a lot of users is the Weather in Notification Center.

snip snip

Couldn't agree more on the weather. The sentence form is horrible. As you stated sometimes it shows the temp, other times it doesn't. Go figure.

Also as someone else stated elsewhere, there is an issue with the calendar in NC as well. It fails to list "full day" events. Hopefully that too is fixed in the GM.

Lastly you are so right on the look of iOS 7. I upgraded my daughter's phone a few days ago and it was my first use of iOS 6 in several weeks and it looked old and dated. Like I was using a TRS-80.

Last edited:

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
iOS7

Looking forward to wave of negative articles from mass media on how iOS7 is confusing and users are complaining etc etc.

Wait until it is released...

Good thing is, many will not update as most of the mom and pop iPhone owners don't even update their OS and they should not!!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
really? training for iOS7? Its basically the same damn OS with a fresh coat of paint....

i fail to see how complicated ControlCenter is..

I can not agree here. There is a lot of changes in iOS7, UI and deep down. Jon Ive did an amazing job with this.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Seriously? I thought Safari finally had unlimited tabs. From what you're saying, it only goes up to 25?

Actually, I just counted and it's 24. When creating the 24th tab, the + button grays out and you can't make any more. I think it's similar to the limit in iOS 6 for the newer iPads.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
I can not agree here. There is a lot of changes in iOS7, UI and deep down. Jon Ive did an amazing job with this.

please tell me of these changes deep down that will confuse people?

"OMGSH where do I swipe to unlock?"
"OMGSH where are the reception bars"
"OMGSH why does the clock actually move?"
"OMGSH why does my wallpaper move?"
"OMGSH I can swipe to go back?"
"OMGSH WHERE IS GAME CENTER?! I CAN'T FIND THE POOL TABLE"

oh and by the way...
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Because of significant changes to the user interface in iOS 7, Apple is reportedly increasing the hours of part-time AppleCare support staff and requiring Mac and OS X AppleCare technicians to cross train in iOS 7 in order to be ready for heavy anticipated call volume.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Actually, I just counted and it's 24. When creating the 24th tab, the + button grays out and you can't make any more. I think it's similar to the limit in iOS 6 for the newer iPads.

So I guess I'll be continuing to use Chrome on iOS 7... shame, I love how Safari looks and feels in iOS 7. Swipe-back gesture is much appreciated as well.

Strange too, because I could swear they said in the demo that you could have unlimited tabs. Maybe they just said that there was no 8-tab limit anymore, but didn't specify that there was a new limit.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
So I guess I'll be continuing to use Chrome on iOS 7... shame, I love how Safari looks and feels in iOS 7. Swipe-back gesture is much appreciated as well.

Strange too, because I could swear they said in the demo that you could have unlimited tabs. Maybe they just said that there was no 8-tab limit anymore, but didn't specify that there was a new limit.

Why on earth do you need more than 25 tabs open?
If you're doing *THAT* much browsing, use a real computer...

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Actual functionality had better change. Apples supplied apps need more than a face lift.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Why on earth do you need more than 25 tabs open?
If you're doing *THAT* much browsing, use a real computer...

I open a lot of tabs in the background when I run across links/articles that I want to read later, so even going through the MacRumors front-page could fill up the 25-tab limit. I'll be reading the articles and opening the forum threads in the background so that I can read the comments later.

Chances are that I won't even come back to them later, but of course, I'd rather soothe myself and open the link in the background than curse myself for closing the tab and not remembering what that article was called later on.

I'd never sit down on a MacBook with the sole intention of "just browsing" but when I'm in a line or waiting for a bus, there's no end to the browsing that I do on my iPhone. My iPhone is the best computer I've ever owned, because I use it the most.

I'll often have 100+ tabs in Chrome, full of articles I opened in the background. Most of them I do go through, but even then, I'd rather not close them without bookmarking them just in case I want to come back to them.

Often I'll go on my MacBook and "open all tabs" from my iPhone on the desktop, then "bookmark all tabs" in a folder (it'd be nice if the iPhone app had that option).

Then I deliberately crash my Chrome app on my iPhone to clear the 100+ tabs and the cycle begins from scratch.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.

'Legions of users over 30'? Who the hell do you think invented computers? Quit being an ageist butthead. I'm over sixty and I've been using iPhones since they were first introduced. Despite your idiotic views we won't have any trouble using iOS7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.