AppleCare Surely A Must?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AppleSimon, Oct 21, 2010.

1. AppleSimon macrumors regular

I was in an Apple store today and the lad who was selling me my copy of iLife11 was kind enough to (and enthusiastic enough) to fetch the 11.6" MacBook Air down for me to play on. Firstly so very impressed with it. It was the base model and it handled applications very well, and also animations like expose were very smooth. Boot time, well that's just something else. I'm so very tempted by one now.

Anyways onto my point. We were talking about the flash memory and about what happens if anything was to happen to it and it needed replacing or something. And he was explaining that it is incredibly rare for flash memory to fail, and because its on the logic board, it is more likely the logic board will fail and if it needed replacing then the memory can be taken off the old one and placed onto the new one so no files etc were lost...

I could imagine this being pretty costly to do so surely the £199 for AppleCare is top priority? Just for peace of mind?

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

I believe you have like a year to make up your mind to get the extended 3 year.

Your covered for a year now.

But the extended may have wider coverage (I hate insurance) :eek:

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

[​IMG]

AppleCare gives you 3 years of phone support instead of 90 days and 3 years of technical support instead of 1 year. You can buy AppleCare for the additional phone and technical support during the full first year. So buy your Mac now, buy Apple care in 364 days, and you're covered for a total of 3 years. Only thing you miss is the phone support after 90 days (but who cares ;)).

Tip: buy from eBay, it will save you a -lot- of money. Make sure it's a dependable reseller and it matches your particular Mac model though.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

Ebay? really?

resellers get bulk deals on Applecare?

didn't know that.

5. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Im sure there are honest sellers on eBay, but I would recommend that you Google issues people have had with eBay AppleCare purchases. Some people have had their AppleCare coverage terminated by Apple long after the eBay transaction closed and feedback was left.

Ive been tempted in the past with the great prices on eBay, but the many documented issues have kept me away.