AppleCare+ - Tax Free

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shamash, Mar 16, 2012.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

For those of you in the US who haven't ordered AppleCare+, here's a little trick to get it tax-free.

I go to school in Arizona but I live in Oregon, so I asked on the phone with 1800APLCARE if they could apply the Applecare to my iPad, but ship the box to my house in Oregon instead of to me at school. They said they don't ship boxes for the Applecare anymore, they just send an email confirmation. So, all you have to do is give them a shipping zip-code in Oregon and you won't have to pay tax on the AppleCare. They didn't even ask me for a shipping address, just a billing address.

A couple tax-free zipcodes I've lived in are 97223 and 97068.

Just a nice way to save whatever tax you were going to pay, and only pay the $99 for your AppleCare+.

(Please note, this is probably highly illegal on a federal level. I'm not endorsing the idea or telling anyone that they should do it. I'm actually an Oregon resident with an Oregon address, so it's legit for me. If you don't live in Oregon, it's most likely VERY illegal, but also most likely not something that would ever be looked into. Your decision is your own.)

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just FYI, Apple mails out an envelope with the printed AppleCare+ confirmation letter and T&C documents. I received this when buying AC+ on my iPhone 4S.

If they're still doing this, I wonder what will happen if they send out the letter and it gets returned to them as undeliverable? Maybe nothing, but it'd make me a little nervous.

4. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

They didn't even ask me for a shipping address. They said on the phone that they don't mail anything to you.