Applecare TERM NEED SOMEONE EXPLAIN

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazymac2010, May 22, 2010.

1. crazymac2010 macrumors newbie

I read the applecare protection term:
    this is a limitation
    b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
    (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or
    maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such
    as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

So i still do not understand why upgrade the hard drive or memory By myself do not violated the protection plan. Since I do "removal or install"....just confused the "covered" and "non-covered" things

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think that means that if you want Apple to upgrade your HD, they will not do that under AppleCare unless the HD doesn't work.

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

No, the hard drive and ram are considered user replaceable parts, even though you have to take the bottom case off to get to them. Anything else is not replaceable. It gets ambiguous with all of the legalese but I've confirmed this with an in store employee when I ordered my MBP in store.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It means that apple will not install remove or dispose of your MacBook pro nor will they service the hard drive you bought from newegg or the dlink router hooked up to your MacBook pro.

5. Chetoc230 macrumors member

So just confirming. If you have bought AppleCare. The only items the user can replace and still be under AppleCare warranty is the hard drive and memory?

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

AppleCare won't cover user installed ram/hdd but that doesn't mean your warranty is voided. Apple just covers the rest of the machine (ie what they sold you).

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes.