AppleCare: Thumbs Up or Down?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bmstrong, Dec 23, 2008.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

How many of you purchase the extra AppleCare when making a purchase? Worth the extra expense? Or does the standard Apple warrenty do the trick?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Two big thumbs up. My wife's display just got replaced because the backlight was flickering, just a bit short of 3 years in. We sent it in on Friday and got it back today, all of course at no charge. I've had multiple parts and even an entire computer replaced by AppleCare when parts failed, which is fairly likely to happen, even though Mac's are quite reliable relative to most of the industry.

jW

3. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Don't forget that Apple Care also provides three years of telephone support dealing with software issues - even help with running the various programs. Apple Care got my 83 yr old (new to computers!) Mom over some hurdles, when I wasn't available. Well worth it.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

eBay for it. There are quite a few sellers that specialize in only selling it.

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Agreed. For either all in one computers, or laptops, its totally worth it.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As others said, go the eBay route if you buy.

As to its value, that pretty much depends on if your Mac craps itself after 12 months but before 3 years.

If it does, and you have it, you'll be glad for it.

I got my AC for an MP on eBay for £63. Even if I don't end up using it I think it was worth while, Apple repairs aren't cheap. It would cost more that £63 just to get someone to look at it, let alone repair/replace anything.

7. zama36 macrumors member

I would do it.

Apple Care is light year's ahead of the extended warranties other companies provide.

Using Apple Care, I have had the following done:
    • Motherboard on a Mirrored Door G4 PowerMac replaced.
    • Airport Extreme replaced twice right after its initial launch.
    • Faulty Sony battery replaced after purchasing the Macbook Pro two years ago.
    • Countless hours on phone support.

It is worth it's weight in gold.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Haven't bought an iPhone or a Mac computer w/o AppleCare in the past few years, so it's always been an awesome add-on for my Apple purchases. Educational discount is really nice as well...:cool:

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I've never bought AppleCare. Never had any problems either. But that's just me being a lucky person.

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Big thumbs up. I've bought it with every Mac I've owned.

11. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Especially for laptops/notebooks, it makes a lot of sense because of the (ab)use they're put through. ;)

12. 156457 macrumors 6502

This is making me worried because my beauty of an iMac (Alu, 2.8 24") ran out of warrant 4 days ago but I didn't have the money at the time to buy AppleCare. argh are Mac's prone to just break :/ I bought it because of reliability..

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No more so than anything else. Most likely to fail is your hard drive, but that's the same with any computer of any price from anywhere.

14. 156457 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reassurance :/

I had a PC before this for 5 years and it's hard drive never failed, and also my PC before that was about 10 years old and that was always OK... the harddrive is user replaceable though I've seen people do it so I'd rather try replacing ti then just trash my Mac lol.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just telling it like it is. The hard drive is the last remaining mechanical part, it's spinning like a nut case all the time your computer is on, at some point it will fail. Some will fail after 6 months, some will seemingly go on forever.

As you say, it's easily replaceable with parts off the self though, so it's not a big problem.

Your real costly problems come if your logic board or screen etc decide to take a turn for the worst. But enough of the doom and gloom!

16. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

For desktops it might be a waste of money, but for laptops it's a must. I mean, how rough do you handle your desktop? For most people, it (almost) never leaves it's place on the desk. Most laptops, on the other hand, are handled quite roughly and are taken everywhere. The cool thing about AppleCare is that it's internationally recognized. Buy it in Europe from eBay in the US, take your MacBook in for service in Hong Kong, and it'll be repaired for fee, no questions asked. Really cool Well worth the money. But please, do buy it from eBay, as it will be considerably cheaper than buying it directly from Apple.

17. iphoner2010 macrumors member

I dislike the AppleCare product for many reasons (although I just found out that for XMAS I'm getting a new MBP...and my parents bought AppleCare...grrrrrrr). First, it doesn't cover accidental damage. Proportionatly speaking, you can buy the Geek Squad warranty for $249/2yrs (AC for the MBP is $349/3yrs), plus the GS warranty is extendable (I'm unaware of Apple's extension policy). In today's world I would argue that the majority of repairs (at least for me) are due to accidents...and I don't want to pay for them. Second, be prepared to fight with apple over everything. It should be obvious that they sell this product to make money, so if they fix the product they aren't making the money that they wanted to make. Therefore, they will try to blame you every time. I've had numerous problems with my iPhone (thank you geniuses who want to comment...i know that an iPhone isn't a Mac), but once one person says no they open up a file on you and everyone else says no too (until you post a YouTube video and speak with the Director of Customer Relations who says, "oops...guess we got this one wrong!")...so no hard feelings, just NO ON APPLE CARE! :apple:

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you are a University student and buy online from the Apple Store for Higher Education then you get AppleCare included for free, but if you buy in store then you only get a 75% discount.

Maybe this is just my working class background speaking here, but you're getting a computer for Christmas that costs more than many of the cars people drive around in and you're angry? Wow.

19. OneTrueBob macrumors newbie

AppleCare Can Help With Resale

If you might resell your computer within the time frame of AppleCare, I would recommend getting it. In an after-market sale, it can make the buyers more comfortable and you'll likely get more of your money out of the sale.

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Just nitpicking, but you don't technically get Applecare for free with the UK Higher Ed store. You get your hardware warranty extended from 1 to 3 years but the telephone support remains as-is. You can 'uplift' this to full Applecare for approx £58 (depending on the computer you buy), a massive discount from the usual £273.

Personally, I've found that Apple's support guys seem to have difficulty even recognising the 3yr HE warranty, so I've always tended to get the Applecare uplift to ensure that they are willing to talk to me over the phone freely, and it registers on their system as having full Applecare.

On topic, I always get Applecare with Laptops, there's a lot more to go wrong compared to desktops, and they've been very good to me in replacing stuff (they even replaced an Airport Express that I bought seperately, but used with my old Powerbook - no questions asked!)

21. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Unlike iphoner2010, I've had nothing other than exceptionally good experience from Apple resellers regarding AppleCare claims.

I've never been p*ucked around with, never been accused of abusing the product, never had a repair request refused, one laptop had approximately $3,000 worth of repairs carried out for free over a period of a year or so.

Definitely worth a look on eBay, no problem finding an APP less than half price. Have been caught once buying one that had already been activated.

To iMac Nick. I have tried to apply an APP a week or so after the first year was up. If you ask nicely the may be able to squeeze it through for you but not if you buy it on ebay!

Very important side benefit of having APP, is that your resale value at 2 Years is really good because of buyer confidence in your AppleCared Mac.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I got Applecare for my MBP and see it as an investment and it gives me peace of mind. So, yes and yes to the OP's first two questions. Re the third, the standard Apple warranty is good for one year, whereas Applecare covers three.

Cheers and good luck

23. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

yes--but did you ever actually have to USE it?

Many people don't realize purchasing a computer with most Gold or Platinum credit cards automatically doubles Apple's 1-year warranty (check your cardholder agreement), so AppleCare is really only offering you one additional year for all that money.

24. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I'll probably purchase Apple Care right before my warranty expires. I think it's worthwhile, since MB and potential repairs are not cheap.

25. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i'll second the opinion that if you have a laptop, you should definitely get applecare. i've had it save me lots of money. desktops i'm not so sure about as they tend to be more reliable.