AppleCare transfer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eowl, Dec 18, 2011.

1. eowl macrumors member

eowl

Hi all,

First post and all that, so i've tried to use the search function to find an answer for my question first and couldn't find a clear answer so hear goes.

I'm looking at upgrading my macbook air to a pro, and I have applecare in my air. If I were to sell the air could I sell it with the applecare or would I have to transfer it in any way?

Also will the applecare have my details such as name, address, phone number etc.?

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

AppleCare is attached to the computer or device, not to whomever the the computer or device is registered. This means that unless you ask for a pro-rated refund, it will remain on the system/device for as long as how long is left at the time of sale. The new owner, if you end up selling the MacBook Air, can, by contacting AppleCare, request a transfer of ownership, so that if he/she chooses to request a refund it will go to him/her and not to you. The registration information is kept on file by Apple but would not be disclosed to third parties for privacy reasons.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

JediMeister is right: AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. Apple doesn't need details about the owner, whether it be you or the buyer. If the Mac needs servicing, anyone can take it to Apple, they look to verify that AppleCare coverage is still in force for that device, and they proceed with the repairs.

Anyone can check the remaining warranty, including AppleCare, by entering the serial number here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

4. eowl thread starter macrumors member

eowl

thanks for the replies, that's a plus point for when I sell it then :)