Applecare transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacKid1983, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MacKid1983 macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

I purchased a Macbook Pro on craigslist recently and was interested in transferring the remainder of the 2 year applecare warranty into my name. But I emailed the seller and he said he threw out the applecare registration number blah blah blah and he needs that to call apple and give them my info to put it into my name.

Am I screwed? The applecare wty goes until 2014 on the MBP. I checked the serial number on the MBP and it shows its got Applecare until 2014 so I know it usually goes with the computers serial number but I'm just OCD about having it in my name etc. And worried down the road if i need to bring it in for service I want it to be able to be repaired with out delay.

Can I go to apple store with my computer and have them change it?

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple Care is not bound to the owner/buyer of the laptop, but to the laptop (or Mac) itself.
    So if the extended Apple Care Protection Plan has already been registered to the Mac you want to buy, then you don't need to do anything further.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Go to the Apple My Support page and look to see if the mac is registered there....You may need the seller to do this, as it's tied to your iTunes password.

Otherwise phone Apple and explain the situation.