AppleCare transferable to new computer just bought?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diehldun, Aug 20, 2007.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Essentially my new MBP was declared D.O.A. (long story) by a manager at my local Apple Store, and will replace it tomorrow with a new one. However, when I initially bought my MBP, I also bought AppleCare to go along with it, and already registered it.

I was reading the "fine print" enclosed in my AppleCare kit, and it says how AppleCare is transferable to the new owner of the machine, but what if I am replacing it with a new machine? Does AppleCare transfer over too? Or do I permanently loose AppleCare? Because I remember someone here saying how AppleCare follows the machine, not the owner?

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

It is my understanding that they change the serial number on your warranty agreement to reflect this change. Of course this was with my ipod but it seems reasonable to assume it's the same for macs. You can always ask them about this when you pick it up.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm sure it transfers since getting the new machine is treated under the warranty as if it were the original machine (ie. start date of the warranty).