Applecare (UK) - VAT added to upgrade components

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBrody, Mar 26, 2011.

1. iBrody macrumors 6502

After a recent visit to my local Apple Store here in the UK, I have been offered a like-for-like replacement on my faulty Late 2008 MBP as the screen flickers.

The following day an Apple representative called and I was asked whether I would like to upgrade any components. I decided to upgrade the RAM to 8GB (£160) and the screen to Hi-Res Glossy (£80) and was quoted a price of £240 to pay, which I paid using my credit card.

The next day my online credit card balance was showing that £288.00 had been deducted (but was not yet showing the actual transaction). As I had not purchased anything else on my credit card recently I decided to phone my local Apple Store to query the transaction; the guy I spoke with went to speak with the person who dealt with my upgrade a day earlier and confirmed that only £240.00 was taken.

Today I receive an invoice in the post from Apple showing £240.00 +£48.00 VAT!!

Apart from Apple not advising me of the VAT on both the upgrade date, or when I subsequently phoned them to query my credit card balance, if you go to the configuration page for the 2.2GHz MBP the upgrade prices are the same as what I paid, but are inclusive of VAT. I don't get it, I feel like VAT has been added on both the original ex VAT price and then again on the gross price.

Before I phone Apple to query the VAT, has anyone else had a similar experience, or upgraded their replacement like-for-like model and NOT been charged additional VAT on each component that you have upgraded?

If I had been made aware of VAT being added on to the final quoted upgrade price, I wouldn't have bothered upgrading any components.

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I don't know about the vat, but why on earth did you take their ram upgrade option when it's only ~£75 from crucial or similar?

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I suspect a billing mistake is to blame. They are not allowed to quote you the price without VAT as an individual so just talk to them and get the VAT refunded.

4. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool I thought there must be an error on their behalf somewhere but wasn't 100%

Tried phoning my local store but they must have their phones off as it doesn't even get to the opening automated blurb.

iPad 2 overload or just a Saturday thing maybe... I will call them monday.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Also, if you authorised them to take the quoted £240 from your credit card, they cannot go ahead and take more.

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    (1)
    yes, why exactly did you pay £ 160 for RAM :eek:
    apple use crucial RAM anyway

as stated above - buy crucial RAM for £ 73

(2)
    i swear i have been quoted a price for gettin my motor serviced and a few mods - then when i check the receipt i noticed the price was ex-vat

7. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Regard to RAM, I couldn't be bothered to do this myself and have to worry about any problems that may occur down the line, at least if I renew my applecare, the RAM be covered.

@johnnyturbouk, so are you saying you were quoted an ex VAT price before the mod, but were not made aware that it was ex VAT until after you had paid and your bank statement/Apple invoice added the VAT on top?

8. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

Sorry, to clarify what i meant, was that when i last had my car serviced, i was quoted a price over the phone for the work: parts+labour
    the price given on the final receipt was higher, as the original price quoted did not include VAT

9. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I see, but bear in mind that Apple quoted £240 as the amount taken at the time of payment and also confirmed £240 when I phoned to query the balance showing on my online banking.

Will see what they say when I phone on monday I guess.

Although it has to be a mistake if the online upgrades on a new MBP are inclusive of VAT, otherwise I am paying both VAT for the ex VAT price, and then VAT again on the VAT Inclusive price (doesn't that equate to more than 40% VAT in total?).

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

if they said £240 and thats it then that should be the final price

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

i see - i think this doe snot seem right?

i would pop back to apple and ask them to elaborate into what chaes ave been made, and whether VAT was charged on the initial £240 quote!