Applecare validity with upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nin1234, May 25, 2009.

1. nin1234 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new unibody 15.4" Macbook Pro (2.4GHz, 2GBRam, 250GB). I want to upgrade to 4 GB Ram and a 320GB HD.
    I plan to buy the 3 year Applecare Protection Plan. If I upgrade, will I void the Applecare?? and/or the 1 year warranty?
    Appreciate any information or personal experiences on this point.
    Many thanks.

2. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

nope applecare has nothing to do with that. Even though apple frouns on using other brands of ram its all good you wont viod your warrenty.

3. patrick92260 macrumors member

No it won't do anything to the AppleCare. If you're really worried and the MBP needs to be sent in, it takes less than 5 minutes to put the OEM hard drive back in the unibody before you take it in to be fixed.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Yeah, what patrick92260 said... just keep your original hd intact in a drawer as well as your original RAM for the off-chance your MBP has to be sent back to Apple for some warranty work, or you could lose your upgrades, according to some who have had this unfortunate thing happen. Just swap them back in before letting your laptop out of your sight.

5. henhowc macrumors regular

Just make sure that you note the upgrades when you send it in or check it in to an Apple store. You should be fine.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

AppleCare won't cover the (new) HD if it fails though.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Applecare will not cover the new equipment, only the original stuff and if you damage something when adding the ram/hd, the warranty won't cover that.

As others stated, play it safe and keep the original HD somewhere and if need the arises to send the laptop into service, slap that puppy into the computer.

8. nin1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Applecare validity with hw upgrades

Thanks for the great advice and your comments.

While on the subject, any recommendations as to what brand(s) to buy for the 4GB Ram and harddrive......I don't know if to buy a 5400rpm or 7200rpm 320GB HD. I have never done this so any advice is much appreciated. According to the manual the replacement does not look too difficult but I am a novice in this matter.

Thanks

9. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

All the 7200 rpm brands get good reviews. I have good experience with the Seagate 320 GB 7200 rpm drives (own three), but they now have a 500 GB version that is sometimes available. There is a supply and demand problem with the drive though. Others really like the Western Digital drives. If you need space, get either the Seagate 500 GB 7200 rpm (if available) or the Western Digital 500 GB 5400 rpm. If you prefer speed, any 7200 rpm drive will do, and even the Western Digital 500 GB 5400 rpm is holding its own in tests.

10. Boiler macrumors regular

Stripped Screws

I bought an Intel SSD and replaced the stock 320 hard drive on a 17 umbp. So there is visual evidence that the screws have been taken out to replace the hard drive.

In this case, is it still worth it to replace the stock HDD if it ever needs to be sent in?

Or, are there replacement screws purchaseable?
    (The two little black ones on the hard drive bridge)

Thanks

11. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

A lot of people suggest keeping the original hard drive and RAM, but I've personally never run into a problem. Of course, the only things I've had repaired aren't even remotely related to those parts (i.e. broken trackpad).