AppleCare via Ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MarsianMan, Oct 22, 2007.

1. MarsianMan macrumors member

So I saw a post on here mentioning something about AppleCare and eBay, so I decided to take a look and saw a half dozen items listed cheaper than I could get via Apple education discount. My question is are these legit? How do you go about notifying Apple about the warranty? I haven't ever had experience with buying an Apple machine (planning to buy a MBP either after Leopard or (less likely) after January refresh) so I don't know how it works. I do know that something like this would never work on other major manufacturers like Dell, HP, etc.

Anyone here have experience with this? If so, what was your experience like?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I bought AC for my MacBook on eBay. Buy from a reputable seller and it should be OK. You get a serial number that you type in the Apple web site along with your Mac's serial to tie the two together. AppleCare starts the day you tie it to a Mac.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I just bought one. 109! Seller has 99.9% Positive with lots of recent AppleCare sales.

Worst case I tell my Visa to fix it if it's no good.

4. juxtaposer macrumors regular

Just treat it like any other transaction on eBay. Make sure to buy from a reputable seller and you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't accept a cheque from Nigerian royalty needing some change for a yacht - you should be fine. :)

5. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I bought mine on eBay and it activated fine, without any problems. I'd say go for it and save some $$. I think I got mine for about $160 shipped

6. AppleAddict! macrumors newbie

I also used it off ebay for my MBP. Bought it for 170.00 not 349.00 yea!!!

7. emac82 macrumors 6502

My question is...how do they sell it for so cheap on eBay? Are they stolen or something?

8. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

you can apply applecare within the one year as long as your current warranty isn't expired right?

9. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I also got my AC through eBay. As of now, my new iMac is good through 2010.

Just like others said, check sellers feedback.

And to answer the question above, that is correct but I suggest that you go directly to apple website and check with your serial number to verify your existing warranty.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would pay with PayPal if I bought it on eBay.

But yea if you can save some cash go for it! Just check their feedback..

11. MarsianMan thread starter macrumors member

Cool, I just wasn't sure if this was just some major scam on eBay. I mean you can't buy extended warranties from other computer companies except through them...but awesomeness to Apple for this!

Thanks!

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Just FYI I bought mine just before 5PM CST and I already have a shipping confirmation email. It either went out today (he's on the west coast) or tomorrow. either way, so far so good.

13. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

I would make sure the seller ships it to you, which it looks like it was. I would be weary of the ones who say they will just send you the activation # via email. Hope everything works out! :D

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I just got my AppleCare that purchased from eBay. Activated just fine. Paid $87 shipped, normally $169 for my iMac. Definitely worth going with eBay. Just find someone reputable. The one I used had recent rep comments specifically regarding AppleCare purchases, so I was very comfortable going with them.