AppleCare VS 1yr Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvpetrenko, Jul 3, 2008.

1. dvpetrenko macrumors newbie

:confused:

With the first year of owning an MBP, what would be the difference between AppleCare and the warranty that's standard? (thinking to just get applecare when 1st year ends)

Say i need mine to be made, i mean the stores don't carry it how i want. So i either order on apple.com or from the apple store - what's the difference. Mainly, if there's a problem, is it easier to take care of when u order form store. Or is it the same, where it will be them shipping it to apple instead of me? (and if i buy online, can i still bring it to the store under warranty, or send it in??)

Sorry for newbee questions:eek: can't wait to switch to :apple:

Thanks, i would appreciate any feedback on this!:)

2. JasonMac macrumors regular

JasonMac

Just get applecare after your one year is up.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Q: Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?
    A: You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you tend to call Apple for help when you first have problems, they may ask you for a credit card before continuing with the call.

Need to go to an AppleStore for a diagnosis to get around this.

However, if you tend toward self help and do your best to confirm a HW issue before Apple gets involved -- not a whole lot of difference.

Though you probably asked about this a week or two too late to download a copy of the Apple Service DVD or Service Manual for your machine, just looked and Apple finally plugged those huge security holes.

Apple had left open the access from the public support site and an apple ID for a long long time.

5. dvpetrenko thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey ggjstudios, i noticed you are running 200gb at 7200, can u tell me if you notice a difference between that and 250 at 5400???? that would really help, thanks

And thank's for the reply's!, more are welcome:D

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Screamin' fast, uses less battery power and generates less heat than the 5400, and whisper quiet. I couldn't be happier. I have an external identical drive for my music collection. Here's more information from an independent test.

7. dvpetrenko thread starter macrumors newbie

Great!, i'm just beating myself up right now over getting the same Brand New, or refurbished... $200 difference... but the refurbished has the 250 - i wanted 7200..

thanks, i guess new is better:D