Resolved AppleCare Vs AMEX? - iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeptp, Sep 14, 2016.

1. joeptp macrumors member

Anyone have experience with the AMEX coverage they offer on your iPhone when paying for your iPhone in full? I called AMEX and they told me they will mimic the manufacturers warranty. They also said they will cover any accidental damage expenses and if my phone is lost or stolen.

So since I paid full price for my iP7 with my AMEX card, do I have any reason to get Apple Care+?

I am just trying to see if I am missing anything here.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Yes. The credit card protection at most covers 3-4 months depending on card and the state you live in. I believe NY limits it to 90 days while major cards make it 120 days outside of New York.

3. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's not entirely accurate. They cover accidental damage/lost/stolen only for up to 90 days.

I've taken advantage of Amex Extended Warranty a couple of times for manufacturing defects in the 2nd year. Very simple. Just give them a call to file a claim, take it to the Apple Store and pay the out of warranty replacement cost, and Amex will reimburse you up to the price you paid for your iPhone in the form of credit in the next billing statement. You can even file the claim after the fact (pay the OOW cost and swap out, then file the claim).

If you do get AC+, Amex will mirror the standard warranty in the 3rd year, giving you three years of protection against manufacturing defects (no accidental damage protection in the 3rd year though). Be sure to charge both iPhone and AC+ to the same Amex card.

4. joeptp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. I only plan to keep the phone 1 year as I upgrade each year. So my main concern here is the accidental damage as everything else is covered under Apple.

The AMEX rep didn't tell me the 90/120day policy for accidental damage. Will have to call them up again and confirm. Will update this thread on what they tell me just incase anything has changed. If not, will mark this thread resolved and I appreciate the feedback.

5. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 14, 2016

Amex Purchase Protection is good for 90 days. Platinum and equivalent cover accidental damage, stolen and lost. All others cover only accidental damage and stolen (but not lost).

6. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Whoa I didn't even know this. I would've paid for my iPhone with my AMEX had I known. Can I still take advantage of this?

I went with AT&T's next so I haven't really paid for my phone in full yet.

7. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Ya how does it work if you are on a payment plan? How do they cover that?

8. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 14, 2016

Nope, it won't work with a payment plan because they can only reimburse you up to the price you initially paid for it and it cannot be under installment billing.

From Amex Extended Warranty terms and conditions:

PURCHASES NOT COVERED
    The following are not covered:
    10. items still under installment billing;

9. joeptp thread starter macrumors member

I talked to AMEX and it is indeed only 90 days for the accidental/lost/stolen coverage. So guess I am going to get the AppleCare+ to cover me as I don't use a case. Thanks for the help, glad I checked. That would have sucked to find out no coverage later down the line if I was to crack my phone.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I believe you have up to 60 days to add AC+ so you might want to do it at the last minute as you're currently covered by Amex.

Also, you can cancel AC+ and get a prorated refund right before selling, as long as you haven't used your deductible. Experienced sellers who've sold iPhones with and without AC+ will tell you that it rarely adds to the resale value. It's better to offer it after the fact (sale) for $50 or so and if they decline, you can cancel it and get the prorated refund. Ironically, they almost always decline.