Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

istar10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I was wondering if its better to buy the Applecare for iphone for $99 or shell out $7 each month for ATT's insurance. I know applecare won't replace lost/stolen but other than that do they both cover the same things like when the battery needs to be replaced or if there is damage? And which one should I go for?

Nikefn2

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah, it woul be great if someone answered this because I'm in the same boat too. I'm not sure which one I want to get.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I put $15 per month in my phone insurance account. No one else gets my money, no deductible, and since I haven't needed it since I decided to self insure, I've got a $700 balance.

Oh, and I won't deny the claim if I have to submit one :)

Reactions: H3boy

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was wondering if its better to buy the Applecare for iphone for $99 or shell out $7 each month for ATT's insurance. I know applecare won't replace lost/stolen but other than that do they both cover the same things like when the battery needs to be replaced or if there is damage? And which one should I go for?
Better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. You need to supply your criteria for "better". They're very different programs. Try looking a bit more closely at how they differ and compare to your needs/wants. Insurance and warranty aren't the same thing -- you're comparing apples to oranges and failing to tell us what you need/want. How are supposed to divine the correct answer for you? This isn't a question with a one-size-fits-all answer.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I put $15 per month in my phone insurance account. No one else gets my money, no deductible, and since I haven't needed it since I decided to self insure, I've got a $700 balance.

I like that idea. The full replacement cost of the 64 GB iPhone 4S is $850 so I would have to put in a lot more per month. I opted to get AppleCare+ and insurance from AT&T. I got the AT&T insurance to cover me losing the phone, and the AppleCare in case I drop it. I also fully intend to use the AppleCare to get a like new phone at least once during the two year period.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I went with the AT&T insurance as it covers loss of the phone as well as damage. It is more expensive ($7month, or $168 for 24 months) than AppleCare plus.

That said, I hear about iPhones being stolen all the time, and I imagine the new models are the jewel of most thieves eyes. I don't mind spending an extra $7/month on my bill knowing I can get a replacement for $200 if I break or lose it. No way I could justify spending $700 to replace my current 32 GB 4S.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
So you intend to make a claim for a new phone even if the one you have is working just fine???

My iPhones always get scratches all over the screen. Is that accidental damage? If I can get that replaced at the end of two years for $50 that sounds like a good deal.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
My iPhones always get scratches all over the screen. Is that accidental damage? If I can get that replaced at the end of two years for $50 that sounds like a good deal.

From the Applecare terms on Apple.com

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575#overview

4. What is not Covered?

(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and
dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment;

They may replace it, and if they decide to that is fine because that is their call, but according to the terms cosmetic damage is not covered. Scratches are more wear and tear and not accidental damage.

Not trying to be an ass, but I know people who abuse these programs and they end up just making them more expensive for everybody. Look at what has happened to the carrier insurance programs over the years.

rookiezzz

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
WA,USA
From the Applecare terms on Apple.com

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575#overview

They may replace it, and if they decide to that is fine because that is their call, but according to the terms cosmetic damage is not covered. Scratches are more wear and tear and not accidental damage.

Not trying to be an ass, but I know people who abuse these programs and they end up just making them more expensive for everybody. Look at what has happened to the carrier insurance programs over the years.

Such as throwing your iphone in purpose, so the insurance would cover you lol :cool:

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
Such as throwing your iphone in purpose, so the insurance would cover you lol :cool:

Yup. Because it is hard for warranty companies to prove that damage to a phone was on purpose it is pretty much an honor system. The people that abuse the system just makes insuarnace more expensive and deductibles higher for those that use it honestly. I work in the insurance business so that is why I feel strongly about this topic.

And I am not saying that Dave is dishonest. Like I said, if he takes his scratched up iPhone into apple and they decide to replace it, that is their call. Just according to the terms cosmetic damage is not covered.

futch

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
AT&T has the same coverage but also adds coverage for loss/theft. AppleCare does not cover this. I think the deductible for AT&T is $199.

Thanks. Can't decide whether to take the other forum members idea and finance my own insurance fund or pay for AppleCare+ or AT&T insurance.

I've never lost or destroyed my phone, so I might just start my own little fund.

Case free is the way to be.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
Thanks. Can't decide whether to take the other forum members idea and finance my own insurance fund or pay for AppleCare+ or AT&T insurance.

I've never lost or destroyed my phone, so I might just start my own little fund.

Case free is the way to be.

I agree. The design of the 4/4S is just too nice looking to cover up with a case.

Also keep in mind if you do damage your phone, the cost for an out of warranty replacement from the Genius Bar is $199 even if you dont have a warranty. Obviously Apple could change this policy at any time, but it is something else that is avaliable at this time.

Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010

Yeah, you could do that with auto and homeowners insurance and after a while when you have $20,000 saved up you can go buy a new house when your current one gets eaten up with a sinkhole. :)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Yup. Because it is hard for warranty companies to prove that damage to a phone was on purpose it is pretty much an honor system. The people that abuse the system just makes insuarnace more expensive and deductibles higher for those that use it honestly. I work in the insurance business so that is why I feel strongly about this topic.

And I am not saying that Dave is dishonest. Like I said, if he takes his scratched up iPhone into apple and they decide to replace it, that is their call. Just according to the terms cosmetic damage is not covered.

I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a $50 replacement in two years for a phone with a lot of scratches on the screen that makes it harder to view it. I've heard lots of people getting replacements for a lot less and a lot more. There is also the option of a battery replacement for a few dollars more. I guess we will see how the policy works after people post their stories.
I like to keep my options open, so I purchased it. With my clumsiness I will probably need the accidental damage replacement at some point anyway.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Saw an ad about Securranty Insurance. 99 bux. Covers two years. Includes accidental damage and loss/theft (both require deductible).

Definitely competitive.... They also cover iPads (doesn't appear for theft/loss, tho).

Securranty Insurance

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
Saw an ad about Securranty Insurance. 99 bux. Covers two years. Includes accidental damage and loss/theft (both require deductible).

Definitely competitive.... They also cover iPads (doesn't appear for theft/loss, tho).

Securranty Insurance

Has anybody ever used these guys? I have never herd of them and their website seems kinda shady.

The only third party warranty I have ever used is SquareTrade. But with AppleCare+ I can go get a replacement at the store as opposed to sending the phone in. I am curious to see if Squaretrade starts offering loss/theft coverage as right now I don't see how they compete with AC. Same price, same deductible.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
AT&T has the same coverage but also adds coverage for loss/theft. AppleCare does not cover this. I think the deductible for AT&T is $199.

And after 6 months if you don't file a claim, the deductible goes to $149. For damage, Applecare is a better deal, but for a combination of damage/theft/loss, ATT really is the best choice...assuming for the first couple of months that they will have matching stock to ship your phone overnight.

I have a 6 and a 6+. I am paying $7/month each to ATT but not even debating it.

The thing with ATT's insurance also is that you may cancel it at anytime you want, online, or through the iOS app. I'm not sure what the AppleCare buyer's remorse period is, if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.