Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SluGuru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I am really wanting to buy AppleCare with my new iPhones and get rid of the ATT Insurance and I have a couple questions.

1) AppleCare does not cover lost or stolen phones. If this happens does Apple have any policy in place to pay a fee and get a new one or would I have to pay $650 to replace it?

2) I will be upgrading my iPhones every year from here on out. Yet AppleCare is two years. Will AppleCare move to my new phone in 2014 or will I just be paying $99 each for one year. Is there any advantage to having AppleCare if you are only keeping your phone one year?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I don't really know the answer to your first question, but I believe Apple doesn't offer anything for lost/stolen.

As for the second, I believe AppleCare is attached to the device not the person. If you sell the phone the AppleCare goes with it (at least I know that's how it works for Macs, I would assume the same for iOS devices). I doubt people who get a new phone every year bother with AppleCare since the one year warranty cover the same things. Not sure if it's different now with AppleCare+.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
If you lose your phone with apple care you are boned. However if you break your phone it costs a very reasonable $50, as opposed to the ridiculos $200 with att. It is a crap shoot which is better.

I personally carry the att insurance since I change phones often, and spend all day outside.

It payed off when I recently lost my note 2. I had a brand new one next day aired and it ran me $200.

The going rate for note 2 on craigslist was about $350. So even worst case scenario it would have cost me the same.

SluGuru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Thank you everyone. This was extremely helpful. I have lost a phone before so I would hate to go without that protection.

However, if Apple will cover everything that AppleCare+ does for one year and the $99 is basically for the second year then it looks like ATT is best. Does anyone know if that is how it works? Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.