AppleCare Vs ATT Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SluGuru, Sep 9, 2013.

1. SluGuru macrumors regular

I am really wanting to buy AppleCare with my new iPhones and get rid of the ATT Insurance and I have a couple questions.

1) AppleCare does not cover lost or stolen phones. If this happens does Apple have any policy in place to pay a fee and get a new one or would I have to pay $650 to replace it?

2) I will be upgrading my iPhones every year from here on out. Yet AppleCare is two years. Will AppleCare move to my new phone in 2014 or will I just be paying $99 each for one year. Is there any advantage to having AppleCare if you are only keeping your phone one year?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't really know the answer to your first question, but I believe Apple doesn't offer anything for lost/stolen.

As for the second, I believe AppleCare is attached to the device not the person. If you sell the phone the AppleCare goes with it (at least I know that's how it works for Macs, I would assume the same for iOS devices). I doubt people who get a new phone every year bother with AppleCare since the one year warranty cover the same things. Not sure if it's different now with AppleCare+.

3. mellofello macrumors 65816

If you lose your phone with apple care you are boned. However if you break your phone it costs a very reasonable $50, as opposed to the ridiculos $200 with att. It is a crap shoot which is better.

I personally carry the att insurance since I change phones often, and spend all day outside.

It payed off when I recently lost my note 2. I had a brand new one next day aired and it ran me $200.

The going rate for note 2 on craigslist was about $350. So even worst case scenario it would have cost me the same.

4. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

5. SluGuru thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone. This was extremely helpful. I have lost a phone before so I would hate to go without that protection.

However, if Apple will cover everything that AppleCare+ does for one year and the $99 is basically for the second year then it looks like ATT is best. Does anyone know if that is how it works? Thanks in advance!