Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
AC+ costs $99. How is that more expensive than $109 or $129?

Because it's $99. That doesn't include the $79 replacement fee. Your first shattered screen cost you $179 total. Your second, $258. That's exactly what two out of pocket sxreen repairs cost.

Edit: sorry. I guess this was answered.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Because it's $99. That doesn't include the $79 replacement fee. Your first shattered screen cost you $179 total. Your second, $258. That's exactly what two out of pocket sxreen repairs cost.

Edit: sorry. I guess this was answered.

But I thought that you pay $99 once and you're covered for two years, and then when you need a repair done you just pay the $79 fee.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I switched from att to AC because of replacement cost and the service extended with AC. you can call and get technical help with AC and replacement cost is lower. I've dropped and iPad rMini and they screwed up the screen replacement so I got a new one with AC. My wife dropped her phone in water and AC again was much cheaper the att replacement.
I've never lost a phone and do not consider that side when comparing insurance, but now have AC on all of my devices.
My sil had his car broken into and android phone stolen. His device replaced with his auto insurance, not sure which carrier he had.
The monthly fee for carrier insurance turned me off as well.

Their is a good argument in either direction, this has simply been my experience.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Really?! I didn't know that. How do you get them to do that?

Just call the AppleCare number and tell them you no longer have the phone. They will refund the card you paid with. After a year you would get $50ish back. Write the serial number down before you sell it. They ask for the serial number and a few other questions.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202704

If you have a claim you cannot get a refund though.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Just call the AppleCare number and tell them you no longer have the phone. They will refund the card you paid with. After a year you would get $50ish back. Write the serial number down before you sell it. They ask for the serial number and a few other questions.

Would that work also if you had AC for a year and then upgraded?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
But I thought that you pay $99 once and you're covered for two years, and then when you need a repair done you just pay the $79 fee.

You do. I am just talking about total out of pocket expenses. Unless you are completely destroying your iPhone (to the point that only a refurb replacement is the only option), you aren't saving any money with Apple care.

I will try and outline it for you here.

iPhone 6
Without Apple care:
$109 for screen replacement
$109 for second screen replacement
$218 out of pocket total

With Apple Care:
$99 cost of Apple care
$79 screen replacement $178 out of pocket total
$79 second screen replacement
$256 total out of pocket

With Apple Care (only counting one year):
$50 cost of Apple care (since they will refund portion unused)
$79 screen replacement $128 out of pocket total
$206 total out of pocket
*I am unsure how refunds work if you have used one or both of your replacemnts*

Pretty much the only way you are "ahead" with Apple care is if you need to replace the entire phone )I eh you ran over it with your car after it fell out of your pocket on the driveway).It is worth noticing that you do also get an additional year of warranty service for standard warranty issues, so there is some value in that for those who keep their phones for that long.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Would that work also if you had AC for a year and then upgraded?

Yes

----------

You do. I am just talking about total out of pocket expenses. Unless you are completely destroying your iPhone (to the point that only a refurb replacement is the only option), you aren't saving any money with Apple care.

I will try and outline it for you here.

iPhone 6
Without Apple care:
$109 for screen replacement
$109 for second screen replacement
$218 out of pocket total

With Apple Care:
$99 cost of Apple care
$79 screen replacement $178 out of pocket total
$256 total out of pocket

With Apple Care (only counting one year):
$50 cost of Apple care (since they will refund portion unused)
$79 screen replacement $128 out of pocket total
$206 total out of pocket
*I am unsure how refunds work if you have used one or both of your replacemnts*

Pretty much the only way you are "ahead" with Apple care is if you need to replace the entire phone )I eh you ran over it with your car after it fell out of your pocket on the driveway).It is worth noticing that you do also get an additional year of warranty service for standard warranty issues, so there is some value in that for those who keep their phones for that long.

You are also just referencing screen replacements. If the digitizer breaks, which happens a lot with screen breaks that is an out of warranty cost of $200+

riggsforlunch

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
You'll only get a refund if you haven't used one of your two $79 repair fees (if you've used both then you also get nothing back). I literally just called to cancel my Applecare Plus because I sold my phone and my refund balance was $0. He explained that because the cost of the repair exceeded the amount left on my Applecare that there was nothing left on the policy to refund me. I think this is total bogus but I'm sick of fighting with Apple on the issue.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202704

If you have a claim you cannot get a refund though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You'll only get a refund if you haven't used one of your two $79 repair fees (if you've used both then you also get nothing back). I literally just called to cancel my Applecare Plus because I sold my phone and my refund balance was $0. He explained that because the cost of the repair exceeded the amount left on my Applecare that there was nothing left on the policy to refund me. I think this is total bogus but I'm sick of fighting with Apple on the issue.

Sorry, I should have said that. You cannot have a repair done. Then again, why should they refund you if you use the insurance? The good thing is they give you a refund if you do not have an incident. I wish my car insurance did that each year.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
It's more than likely an Apple refurb, although I do suppose some lucky few will receive new phones. Normally I don't like refurbs, but after learning how high Apple's standards are for refurbs, I really don't mind.

I do know that some with carrier insurance will receive brand new phones- in the box with all new accessories (happened to a friend of mine with ATT insurance about 2 weeks ago). If a new phone is a big priority for you, carrier insurance may be the way to go.

It's 'a big priority...' for me to get a brand new phone as a phone is sort of a 'personal item' that touches a sensitive body part. I don't like the thought of any number of total stranger's 'EARS' open to their auditory canal, chuck full of their own crop of microbes and whatever going up against my own ear.
Nope, not for me and get this.....I would be CHARGED for this via the payments for said insurance.

That's just me.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
It's 'a big priority...' for me to get a brand new phone as a phone is sort of a 'personal item' that touches a sensitive body part. I don't like the thought of any number of total stranger's 'EARS' open to their auditory canal, chuck full of their own crop of microbes and whatever going up against my own ear.
Nope, not for me and get this.....I would be CHARGED for this via the payments for said insurance.

That's just me.

Apple "service replacements" are of the highest quality you could find. Every part that you touch is new, as well as any components that may degrade over time. So that means you get a brand new housing, display, call speaker, and battery.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Squaretrade is the same price as AppleCare+ and has the same deductible price. Why would anyone buy SquareTrade instead of AppleCare+?

Because when you want to upgrade after a year you can get nearly $80 back in a refund, going towards a new policy for the new phone. A must if you are a yearly upgrader like myself. Plus, in my last two interactions with SquareTrade they have given full reimbursement, and not taken the deductible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.