Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poodyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Hey

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't see an Applecare specific place, and I've just ordered a new Macbook Pro Retina and a bunch of goodies, so I came here and thought it seemed as good a place as any.

As I say, I ordered a bunch of new Mac Stuff, retina MBP, 27" thunderbolt etc, a couple of days ago, and the thing which I really stopped to pause about was the Applecare. For the new "pro, it's really expensive, and given that EU rules require Apple to provide a 2 year guarantee by law, I was struggling to reconcile that cost for effectively a 12 month period to cover a laptop etc that would by that time be 2 years old already.

I actually got it in the end, but mostly because I noticed it covered the Thunderbolt Screen as well, and as I've bought it all through my vompany by the time the tax decudtions and discounts etc are taken into account its a more reasonable £100ish. I can swallow that given the comments I've seen before from ex and serving Genius's that the Applecare gives a lot more freedom to them to really go to town to help out/swap machines if needs be etc.

That said, there was another line of thought that I had, that may be worth sharing with others in case it helps them.

Now I realise that, as I have said before the EU require Apple to p[rovide a 2 year warranty anyway, but from what I gather Apple fight tooth and nail once it's out of their own warranty to not honour the spirit of the EU legal one.

So there is another, cheaper and potentially better, way. John Lewis in the UK by default offer 2 year warranties with all of their laptops. On top of that, you can buy an extended John Lewis guarantee, which bolts a further 3 years on top of that. Now bear in mind that you really cant find a discounted Apple gizmo, so by buying from John Lewis you are just automatically getting additional warranty, and if you buy their additional one you are getting awarranty that's two years more protection than Applecare. The additionaly warranty is much cheaper than Applecare, and includes accidental damage.

John Lewis are famous for their aftercare, and no arguments approach to stuff that has problems in warranty, so I would not expect any problems at all.

The only difference I can see is that you would not have the telephone software support, but I've yet to not receive an answer to any question I've had from a Genius in a store.

This may have been debated before, but just in case not and it saves someone money.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
Having my MBP covered for 5 years sounds interesting. But does anyone in the US offer extended warranties longer than Applecare through Apple?

Specifically, anyone with a physical store presence in Portland, Oregon?

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I don't know if I am reading it different to you but,

Just looked at the website and the extended warranty is 3 years for £150.

Not 3 years on top of the 2 years that comes with the product?

So in effect only an extra 1 years warranty for £150!!

Qbiinz

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
forget a third party extended warranty, if your going third party i would consider personal property insurance instead.

Poodyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
I don't know if I am reading it different to you but,

Just looked at the website and the extended warranty is 3 years for £150.

Not 3 years on top of the 2 years that comes with the product?

So in effect only an extra 1 years warranty for £150!!

Tobias,

John Lewis extended warranties are on top of their standard guarantee period (I have one on an appliance I bought from them). They are to cover repairs outside the guarantee period

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Didn't know that we had that law in the UK, and nor did I know anything out John Lewis's hardware guarantees. That sounds very interesting! However, JL are no good to me if they don't offer student discounts.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have always bought my Apple Laptops from John Lewis as they include an extra years warranty over the standard 1 year apple warranty. It has proven useful as I needed to replace a defective battery after the Apple warranty had expired. John Lewis replaced it with no problems at all.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
If you're going to buy from anywhere other than Apple, or indeed any other manufacturer for that matter then John Lewis should be your #1 choice. No pushy 16 year old telling you what you do and don't need, no nonsense returns and fantastic warranty policies.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
First i'm hearing about the EU 2yr warranty law...

However I do vouch for John Lewis extra 1 yr guarantee, which is the reason I opted to buy my iPad 3 from them instead of Apple at launch.

Logicality

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
I have also recently opted for John Lewis for an Apple purchase.

I waited for the mid-2012 MacBook Pro refresh, but when I saw the price of the Retina MacBook Pro, and the relatively slight performance improvements to the MacBook Pro 13" and the loss of FireWire, I decided to trawl around for the late-2011 model on a discount.

John Lewis are clearing out the late-2011 models at substantial discounts. The 13" (which I opted for) was £849 instead of of £999 and the 15" is £1199 instead of £1499. Given that Apple were offering a refurbished late-2011 13" for about the same that I paid for a brand new one, with the fantastic two year John Lewis Guarantee, I was sold!

What the salesperson told me as well was interesting. They say that if there is a problem they take the laptop to the Apple store across the road for repair almost immediately. Therefore the lack of immediacy of seeing a Genius at an Apple store, which was a small concern, is actually only going to amount to a very small delay compared to going straight to Apple. Hopefully I won't need to find out!

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I have always bought my Apple Laptops from John Lewis as they include an extra years warranty over the standard 1 year apple warranty. It has proven useful as I needed to replace a defective battery after the Apple warranty had expired. John Lewis replaced it with no problems at all.

Here in the US we just make the purchase with American Express and get the 1 year extension to coverage regardless of where we buy from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.