Applecare vs. plan from Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr997s, Nov 1, 2011.

1. gr997s macrumors member

Confused about the choices. Verizon wants $9.95 per month and a $175 deductable for complete coverage. I can lose it; drop it in the ocean etc and they will replace for the $175. Not sure about what applecare covers. Thoughts?..Thanks for taking time to answer..

2. paule350 macrumors member

applecare does not cover lost/stolen.

3. Jmclark macrumors regular

AppleCare covers everything that VZW's does, except lost/stolen phones I'm pretty sure, just for less.

4. gr997s thread starter macrumors member

Yea. that looks to be the case..

From Apple web site

"technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee"

So it looks like it covers everything but losing it. Just need to have the device to turn it in..Seems like a better plan..Is that the way you guys are reading it?..Thanks

5. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Basically the same plan. Verizon covers lost/stolen. I'd rather pay a one time fee of $99 and just not lose it than $240 for 2 years of coverage.

6. Will69 macrumors regular

I bought the AppleCare. I wanna put some text in my lock screen's wallpaper that instructs how to return the phone if found. You know, in case there's a good Samaritan out there.

7. akj27 macrumors member

But Apple's plan only covers replacements two times, while Verizon's covers it as long as you pay it, right?

I'm not really sure.

8. gr997s thread starter macrumors member

But Verizon will charge you $175 each time...

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Are you sure Verizon will always cover it as long as you pay? I know a couple guys who had insurance on Sprint and after their 3rd or 4th break, they had their insurance dropped. In the end, it is an insurance policy....

Edit: And yes I do realize we are talking about Verizon and not Sprint, but I'm just using that as an example that I have a feeling Verizon would have a max amount of claims before they would no longer insure.

10. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

11. akj27 macrumors member

Only if you lose it or it's stolen I believe.

12. Tortri, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If your concerned about it getting stolen, go to settings, enable restrictions, make a pin, DON'T allow changes to location and accounts. This basically stops people from disabling tracking your phones position. Make sure under locations that find my iPhone is on.

Only annoying thing is any app that requires location services, you'll have to go to location services then turn it on.

Other than that, you can track your phone down and if someone stole it, call the police and use find my iPhone to get your phone and arrest a thief.

Bonus to find my iPhone (iCloud.com or spouses iPhone) you can tell it to play sound if you misplaced it in your place, even if your sound is turned off.

Edit--

Reason to disable accounts is because you need to enable find my iPhone under iCloud. Don't want someone to simply turn that off.

13. njarrell macrumors newbie

Asurion is the warranty company that Sprint uses for all claims and if I am not mistaken most of the cell companies in the U.S. use them as well including Verizon. So I would assume that the same policy would apply to Verizon as it does with Sprint.