Applecare vs Verizon insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rleelfd7, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Rleelfd7 macrumors newbie

I'm sure this has been asked before. I just bought the 5s. Trying to decide between Applecare for it or Verizon insurance. Thought?

2. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Applecare is way better. Of course the $99 upfront may seem like a lot at first, but it's way worth it. They give you two handset replacements, two battery replacements (which basically pays for the applecare itself) and it only costs $79 to replace a cracked screen. Yes, the only thing it doesn't cover is theft, but it's one of the best protection plans out there for the iPhone.

3. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I agree, AppleCare + is much better. Verizon insurance is expensive and their service is vastly inferior if you do need to use the insurance (from my experience at least).

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

5. Rleelfd7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just purchased AppleCare plus! Thanks for your help!

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Your post was the final bit of incentive they needed. Well done! :D

7. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Applecare+ will not replace your device if it's stolen like Verizon insurance.

They're 2 different things entirely. I have both

8. Rleelfd7 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the main disadvantage I could see. I'm thinking of doing the same. Just not sure about paying for two insurance policies on one phone. I bet I would be glad I did in the event it was stole!

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Hey, if you lose your phone you should have to buy a new one damnit! Applecare+ is easily the best way to insure your phone. Nothing beats being able to walk into a store and walk out with a new phone.

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Of course Applecare+ rocks but having that Verizon life line is also a boon. Trust me, you won't appreciate it until you either lose your phone or someone steals it.

Applecare+ is not insurance. I don't know why people are comparing the 2.

11. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

No, AppleCare+ is not insurance, but if it breaks for any reason you can get it replaced. What is better than insurance is that you can replace your current device even if you have cosmetic damage that you no longer want to look at. Plus, the people at Apple have always been so great with their customer service.

12. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

At $10 a month - for the life of the phone - the Verizon "insurance" is exorbinant. Even if you only keep the phone for two years, that is $240. About one third the price of the phone!! Would you be willing to pay $10,000 for insurance if you owned a $30,000 car for two years??

13. I7guy macrumors G5

With verizon you get one loss a year, so it can pay for itself. It's a gamble all right. My kids got their iphones replaced a number of times, free if charge, after warranty due to insurance.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

If $10K represented to someone as much (or as little) as $200 then perhaps. But I agree in the general sentiment that with the monthly payment and a deductible on top of it when a replacement is needed quite a bit of money is already spent.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Uhh...it is insurance. It reduces your risk for you

16. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I pay $8 a month per device on both my Note 3 and 5s. Where did you get $10 from?

----------

More like extended warranty.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

But you pay a deductible, so it's insurance ;)

18. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Insurance lite - can We agree on that ;)

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Agreed. Similarly...i suggest everyone buy your iPhones with American Express. They extend the warranty by a year and if for some reason apple denied your claim they would reimburse you.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Verizon insurance is better because I had an iPhone stolen 3 times so far with only 2 dead batteries under standard Apple warranty. :apple: