Applecare warranty on 13" MBP (spilled water...)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moral-hazard, Jun 27, 2010.

1. moral-hazard macrumors regular

I was working on my 1 year old 13" unibody MBP and tipped over a glass of water. Some caught the keyboard and I immediately turned it upside down (with the screen open) and took off the bottom panel. I tore out everything down to (but excluding) the mobo, and it was clear that no water had made it through to the vital components. After a few days of drying out in a warm room, I reinstalled the drives and hooked up everything. My laptop works fine, but I had literally just bought applecare shortly before that since I was coming up on the 1 year mark. I also bought it because I was seeing some weird issues (when i open the lid after sleeping, the screen sometimes flickered on and off once or twice, etc).

My question is, am I now SOL if anything happens to it in the future? I'm guessing apple has all sorts of indicators in this thing so they can detect water damage - and indeed I would understand if the keyboard crapped out and they didn't want to replace it, but I do know for a fact that no water made it anywhere near the motherboard, cpu, ram, etc. Any suggestions on what I should do? Can I get apple to certify that the machine wasn't damaged somehow?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Two options:
    1. Just confess and pay for the damage that the water caused(do this soon so it is not blamed for further issues) and your warranty will be valid again (at least that is what I've heard.
    2. Cancel the AppleCare and go warranty-less. You will get a prorated refund.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Basically you just gave Apple an excuse to not repair your machine under warranty because the water markers will have changed color. You're probably SOL at this point.

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Exactly this.

5. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

That would be excellent. If they will let me i'd be happy to do that.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, that's quite the norm, you can return service with virtually any company before it ends and get a prorated refund. What you should do first is go to a local Apple retail store if you live close enough to one and take your MBP there and be honest with them about the spilled water and have them inspect it. They may say no damage was done and the sensors may have not been triggered so in that case you would still have your Applecare in tact.
    If they have to void the warranty you can still get a prorated refund so in this case being honest and upfront wouldn't hurt. :)

7. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

I was worried they would void it and that it was non-refundable. I feel like since I only paid $600 out of pocket for the laptop (long story - won a $300 gift cert to the apple store and sold the free iPod) maybe i should just not bother with applecare - after all i could put that $180 towards a new one in a few years :)

I'll take it to the apple store tomorrow and see what they say - there's one within 5 mins of where I work.