AppleCare warranty transfer issue?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cwphoto, Feb 11, 2010.

1. cwphoto macrumors newbie

cwphoto

Ok, here is my first MacRumours post, so please....be kind :eek:

Alrighty, first off, I am in the UK whcih is somewhat known for it's naff AppleCare phone support, so bear that in mind.

I have purchased a lovely, gently used MacPro(3,1)2.8GHz Octo with the Extended AppleCare until 2012. Now, the gentleman I bought this from has been very helpful and communicative and said he would fax Apple all the documents to transfer the AppleCare over to me right when I bought the MacPro, which he did try to do.

Now, in comes Apple...
    They said they cannot transfer the warranty without the 'original receipt'. The AppleCare was purchased on eBay, and he sent them the PayPal receipt, but they rejected that. He contacted the eBay seller and asked if he had the original receipt, but he doesn't. I've seen on here and other forums that people have been able to transfer their warranties over the phone or without the 'original receipt', so I have hope!

I guess my questions are:
    1. If I have to take the MacPro in, and the warranty is not transferred to my name and address, will they still cover it, or will they reject it?

2. Should I call Apple with all the info and try to get the warranty transferred to myself?

The guy I bought it from has only emailed Apple, and I told him he should talk to them, which he is going to do tomorrow. I've learned that it is more WHO you talk to at Apple support, than anything else.

I've been on the phone for probably close to 100 hours over the past five years due to a grueling and ridiculous stream of failures on my MBP(s), and I know that they will help, but with a LOT of messing about. That is one reason I don't want the MacPro warranty to be askew! The warranty on my MBP was the only thing that has saved me having to buy three new laptops as I am on my third replacement machine from Apple through the warranty! So, if anything fails on this MacPro I need a upper hand by having the warranty error free.

So, any advice or help is extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-CW

2. nufanec macrumors regular

AppleCare is tied to the machine not the individual. It is tied to the machine's serial number and has no ties to the individual who owns it. See here.

Sounds far more likely to me that the original owner has purchased AppleCare and not registered it within the first year, so when trying to retroactivity register it, AppleCare will ask for proof that it was purchased within the first year of ownership. As eBay is not an official selling point (eBay themselves are not the seller, and the seller probably is not an authorised Apple or AppleCare reseller), they will ask for proof of the AppleCare purchase.

3. cwphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

cwphoto

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did check the Serial number of the MacPro on the Apple site, and it shows as having the full AppleCare, so it was registered before the 1st year was up. But....

...I just called US Apple support(a trick I learned with my MBPs, as they can help out even though I'm in the UK), was on hold for about .5 seconds and spoke to the absolutely perfect support worker 'Maria'(seriously, I cannot praise her enough!) and she transferred it all over to me in about 1 minute. So it's all set.

I guess this thread can end happily ever after! Ahhh....off into the sunset. :D

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

AppleCare is tied to the product, not the individual.

Good luck!

Habitus :apple: