applecare warranty transfer question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I need some help rather quickly. I am about to buy a used mac. It is under applecare 3 yr warranty for another year or so. The owner of the mac bought it second hand, I will be the third owner. He has no documentation of the warranty, but on apple's website, with the serial #, it states that the computer is still under applecare for a year.
    Will this be a problem if I need service? Is the applecare tied to the serial number, regardless of owner, and will I get any grief? I was going to say I received it as a gift if anyone asks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Applecare is tied to the serial number, although, you might need to contact Apple to transfer the registered owner.

3. Shasterball macrumors 6502a

Shasterball

Yup. Applecare depends on serial #. Having your name put on it is a good idea though.

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Bought a first gen iphone from craigslist that had applecare, had a bad vibration motor. I went in, explained that how I bought it, and walked out of the apple store with a new refurb phone. With that in mind, I think you'll be ok, though it might not be a bad idea to make an effort to try and get the apple care transfered.