AppleCare Warranty Transfer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Jan 21, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello all, I've just been looking for a MacBook Pro retina 15", I found many with AppleCare and thought about how to transfer it. Some people say it just stays with the serial number on the macbook, some say you gotta,"the transfer must include the original Proof of Purchase, the Plan's Certificate and all of the Plan's packaging material, including printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or agmts_transfer@apple.com"

Has anyone done this before, but the problem is that the person bought it second hand and I'm worried when I need to use the warranty, they would say it isn't covered. What if the person I'm buying it from doesn't have the documents to prove that he can transfer it, will the warranty be void, or is there another way.

Thanks in advance

2. sevoneone macrumors 6502

When AppleCare is purchased it is linked to the device in Apple's global CRM and service/repair database by serial number. Doesn't matter who purchased it, activated it, how many times it has been sold, who brings the machine in for service or if they have the documents. Apple Care always follows the hardware. Simple.

Sending in the notice to Apple is just registering the Mac in your name. The same thing happens if you reinstall the OS and do the electronic registration or the first time you personally take the machine in for service. Registered owner has no impact on the extended warranty.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

It is true that the AC stays with the Mac. Transferring the AC is a piece of cake. I always get AC for my Macs, and generally sell them before the AC runs out.

The AC needs to be registered to the Mac - Apple generally does this automatically when the Mac is purchased from them. It's organized under the Apple "My Support Profile", which is tied to an iCloud account.

I provide a screen shot of my AC summary page when I'm posting a Mac for sale - it shows some proof that the Mac is under warranty (or not stolen?). When the Mac is sold, I simply delete the Mac (or iPhone/Apple peripheral) from my Support Profile. The new owner simply adds the device to his/her Support Profile by entering in the SN of the device - QED. Never once had a problem.

A couple of years ago, I traded an iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S3 I wanted to try out. The original owner removed the iPhone 5 from his Support Profile, I added it to my Support Profile, and we both walked away happy. I still have that iPhone 5, and it works perfectly to this day.