AppleCare Warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonyn72293, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tonyn72293 macrumors newbie

I have applecare on my iphone. I dropped it and cracked the screen now it freezes up all the time.
    Do you think applecare will cover it even if its your fault. They might see the crack and say they're not liable. And also could they fix the scree? It should be free since i have applecare, right?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No, AppleCare does not cover accidental damages, and it doesn't matter if you paid for AppleCare. Repair will also not be free, I believe its something like $199 for repair (they will swap it out with a refurb) if your phone is found to be Out-Of-Warranty*

*Your phone may technically still be under warranty, but the moment you dropped it and cracked it, it will be categorized as Out-Of-Warranty.

3. CZK, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Step 1: Change your screen glass (cheap)
    Step 2: The drop accident never happened
    Step 3: Return it and enjoy
    ________
    IOLITE VAPORIZER

4. tonyn72293 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you serious?! I thought thats what I have AppleCare for so if something happens they can take care of it. Theyll charge for a fee for fixing it?!?

Say i replaced the screen they I take it in they wont charge me anything correct?

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

AppleCare extends your Manufactures warranty by an additional year. Those same rules from the manufactures warranty period apply to the extended year, meaning;

-Water Damage
    -Accidental Damage

are not covered. Products like the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch are not actually repaired, they are just swapped out for a refurbished unit, you just pay the out-of-warranty fee and get a new (refurb) product. A product like the MacBook or iMac would be repaired and subject to repair fee's (which AppleCare would cover). I think it would be a lot easier (and quicker) to just pay Apple for the OOW fee get it over with, paying and going through the trouble of repairing your own screen could result in further damages and could even disqualify you from even OOW service with Apple (unless you are 100% confident that you could piece it all back together correctly, then go for it)

[​IMG]
    http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/

6. tonyn72293 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Thats pratically buying a new iPod. Im just going to take it to get the screen repaired not by Apple but some other repair center.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the OOW fee is $199 (look at the graph), I don't know how much DIY sites charge for parts. If you start repairing your own screen, and feel that you can't do it and go into Apple with your iPhone torn apart, Apple can (and more likely will) deny you even OOW service and not repair your phone at all.

8. tonyn72293 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im gonna take it to get the screen fixed from a repair shop. Screw that i am not paying 200 for another ipod.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

10. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

if it's an iPhone 3G/3Gs, its less now for a screen replacement.

If you have two stores near you, go to one for a quote... if you don't like the sound of it, repair yourself then go to the other store and get it covered

11. tonyn72293 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a ipod touch 2g 32gb

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you asked this question on the iPhone forum, I just assumed you owned an iPhone.

with Apple, the $199 fee also applies to the iPod touch, but you could find DIY sites that charge around $90 for the screen and digitizer + shipping. This site claims to only charge and additional $20 for installation (so $110)

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/4421-digitizer-glass-ipod-touch-2g.html

13. CZK, Nov 7, 2010

CZK macrumors 6502a

Thats your best bet because apple will never know that you droped ( unless you tell them.....) it and it will be considered as internal damage which is covered.

e/ also did you try to restore it ? ( to fix you issue ( freezing lagging))
    ________
    Herbalaire vaporizer

14. tonyn72293 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. But I get the same freezing. I have firmware 4.1 and its not jailbroken either

15. CZK, Nov 7, 2010

CZK macrumors 6502a

Ok, so thats your 2 options.

1. Live with the lagging problem
    2. Change your screen and return it saying that it lags and freeze often ( never mention the fact that you droped it.
    3. OR pay 9999999999999$
    ________
    Honda Pilot history

16. tonyn72293 thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question. What service do i need on it. Because the crack goes from the screen to the black part of the ipod. Is it broken glass/digitizer i need replaced?

17. CZK, Nov 7, 2010

CZK macrumors 6502a

There is some websites that offer this kind of services. Check other topics for website that does black to white conversion also does this kind of things ( i dont remember the name).

I guess its just the glass, they will be able to assist you better than i.
    ________
    Jeep commander history

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I have used www.ifixyouri.com a bunch of times for repairing broken screens and home and power buttons for out of warranty iPhones.
    They're good and speedy with their repair service.

19. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

you would think apple could make a screen that doesn't ever crack

20. Applejuiced, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A screen that doesn't crack?:rolleyes:

21. sjam80 macrumors newbie