AppleCare Warranty....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by branharrison6, Apr 19, 2007.

1. branharrison6 macrumors member

I heard that the Apple Care warranty can be purchased a year AFTER the purchase of ur original product. I am about to purchase a macbook and would like to wait and get the warranty later as the $$ becomes available. Is it posible to wait?

2. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

You have up to the end of your regular warranty period, which is one year from the date of purchase.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, you have a year. Just be sure that you also register the AppleCare with the machine before the year is up...don't buy the AppleCare and then forget to register it.

Free phone support runs out after 90 days, but you can always buy the AppleCare at the point you find you need phone support within that 90-365 day timeframe.

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I asked this a while back, but on a related topic, how long do you have following a repair to get the computer fixed again if applecare has now run out?

5. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

If you live in CA you have 60 Days from the last repair.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The component that was repaired gets a 90-day warranty (or to the end of your warranty/AppleCare if that's longer). I suppose that would also apply if they fixed something just before your AppleCare expired and then it turned out not to be the cause of the problem, but subsequent repairs to finally solve the problem come after AppleCare has expired.

It's standard warranty policy that any problems reported within the warranty period continue to be covered by the warranty until final resolution, even if that extends beyond the warranty period.

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

im also intrigued so your telling me if the limited warranty expires and you want applecare you cant get it?:confused:

8. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

yeah, i live in california, i just decided to pick philadelphia, pa as my location instead to mess with everyone....:rolleyes:

10. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

Do you get EXTRA benefits or SPECIAL care with the Applecare warranty rather than the factory one? If I go without purchasing Applecare for a while till I get some extra $$ to do so and then all the sudden my computer freaks, will I still be able to send it in and get the issue repaired or resolved because I am still on the factory warranty? Or does the factory warranty not cover it?

11. jotadeo macrumors regular

Someone said in another thread on the same topic that you should leave yourself a little extra time (a month???) before the year runs out. I forget why exactly...maybe for time for it to go through snail mail (if that's the way it goes) and/or processing time???

Just thought I'd throw that out there, but perhaps someone could clarify the reasons why and how much time to give yourself.
    jdo

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Applecare warranty extension covers the same things as the factory warranty does (and with the same exclusions like batteries). So sending it in or taking it to an authorized repair outlet is exactly the same.

What Applecare gets you which the factory warranty doesn't after Day 90, is telephone support. With the factory warranty after 90 days if you want to call in a problem, even if you suspect it is a hardware warranty issue, they will ask you to pay $35 or something for the call.

Timing:
    If you don't register your machine when you buy it, Apple will estimate your warranty start date based on the manufacture date of the machine -- this means that Apple may expire your year up to several weeks before your anniversary of purchase. Its a minor hassle to send in receipt copies to prove when you bought it. Also when you buy Applecare, you have to register that code number against the serial number of your machine, as mentioned. If you purchase at the last minute and neglect to register the Applecare, you could be FUBARed.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

just to clarify, if it does turn out to be a hardware problem that's covered by the warranty, then they don't charge you the $35, although they'll ask for your credit card info before you discuss the problem.