Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I have a 2010 MBP with Apple Care, I've had display replacement, logic board (motherboard) replacement the need to reinstall the OS several times. What do you suppose Apple's next move will be? will they ever replace my computer or what? I just want something that works. I'm not trying to rant just a little annoyed with the time I've had this machine and the amount of time I've spent without it because of issues.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I had my 2007 MBP fail the video card 3 times. They didn't offer me anything except telling me I should be grateful they are fixing it.

Were they replacing it under AppleCare. It doesn't seem like a very apple-like response. Then again i saw a genius raise his tone at a customer today.

pscraig

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Some of the geniuses are hired more for knowledge than personality, but they're usually very professional.

I do have to hand it to these guys, go into an Apple store on any given Saturday and they are slammed all day. It gets old quick, trust me.

I would politely ask for a replacement, and if denied, gradually run it up the chain of command. The store director does have authority to replace a device, so just stay very polite and keep asking. If that doesn't work try the whole process again at a different Apple Store. The service history of your computer are available to any Genius Bar.

If you don't have success, try talking to the AppleCare reps on the phone and see how that goes.

Lastly, did you happen to pay for it with American Express? They often extend warranties of devices purchased on their cards. They replaced my 15" MBP after my 2010 model was damaged by a power surge.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
OP

Seems like very little is left that can go wrong for you. I'm guessing that the newLogic Board will fix your issues....If it doesn't you are well within your rights to ask for a replacement.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
I had my 2007 MBP fail the video card 3 times. They didn't offer me anything except telling me I should be grateful they are fixing it.

That is definitely not Apple telling you that.

I'm assuming it was a "genius" (who are not hired based on their knowledge, btw).

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I am a little surprised, the "genius" told me that replacing the logic board would fix my issue. Yet when I used my computer this morning I had the same issue I had prior to bringing in my laptop.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I do have to hand it to these guys, go into an Apple store on any given Saturday and they are slammed all day. It gets old quick, trust me.
That's a good point, yet it's no excuse. They have a job to do & being courteous is part of it.

As a customer, the appropriate respond is to ask to see the manager when that happens so that it can be dealt with on the spot.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am a little surprised, the "genius" told me that replacing the logic board would fix my issue. Yet when I used my computer this morning I had the same issue I had prior to bringing in my laptop.

At this point I would call Apple and speak with a Senior level advisor about the situation. Press them on a replacement.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^

The time has come to get it swapped out...Don't scream and shout, just be very quiet and polite, ask for the manager, and whilst you are talking to him explain what the "Genius" told you about being grateful.

One ex genus and a new laptop should be the result. Nothing else is acceptable at this point. You've been more than patient with them IMO.

Let us know how you go.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
^^

The time has come to get it swapped out...Don't scream and shout, just be very quiet and polite, ask for the manager, and whilst you are talking to him explain what the "Genius" told you about being grateful.

One ex genus and a new laptop should be the result. Nothing else is acceptable at this point. You've been more than patient with them IMO.

Let us know how you go.

You are mixing up 2 different posters. One was told the grateful comment and the other was not (the OP is the one not told that).

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Apple's unofficial (or at least not public) policy is to replace the machine if it exhibits failures after three repairs for the same issue or on the same part. Until that point, you're not likely to receive a replacement unless you just talk to someone really nice. If you call Apple and speak to Customer Relations, however, you'll have the best chance of getting a replacement instead of another repair. Again, chances are that won't happen until three repairs for the same problem, though.

jW

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I had my 2008 MBP replaced after the nVidia card issue (it kept flickering) and they changed the logic board twice and the third time they replaced the display. Same thing kept happening.

It took a while, but some brute force helps getting a new one.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
If the issue persists when I get it back I'll ask about getting a new computer. Worst thing to is I just want to migrate my data to a new computer and part with the 13" MBP.

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
I had my logic board replaced twice, top case and airport card. Then they replaced my ribbon cable for my superdrive and finally my battery (swollen). They still wanted to keep fixing it as they said they couldn't duplicate the problems. So I asked to speak to a manager and he still wasn't willing at first and then said we will try to fix it one more time and hopefully the problem will go away. It didn't so when I went back and asked to speak with him they told me he wasn't at that store anymore :confused::mad:. I told them I wasn't leaving without a replacement as I use my laptop for school and I can't deal with bringing it in every week. They went in the back for 10-15 minutes and came out and said that they would do a one time replacement even though they could duplicate the problems (video distortion, wifi dropping). As they were doing the replacement the screen did flicker and went black. I was like :eek::mad: see I wasn't lying and they were like yes we see what you are talking about now. I bet they just throw the computer in the back and test it for 10 minutes and if they don't find a problem they give it back to you :rolleyes:.

wow that was pretty long hopefully that makes sense and I didn't leave anything out.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I had my logic board replaced twice, top case and airport card. Then they replaced my ribbon cable for my superdrive and finally my battery (swollen). They still wanted to keep fixing it as they said they couldn't duplicate the problems. So I asked to speak to a manager and he still wasn't willing at first and then said we will try to fix it one more time and hopefully the problem will go away. It didn't so when I went back and asked to speak with him they told me he wasn't at that store anymore :confused::mad:. I told them I wasn't leaving without a replacement as I use my laptop for school and I can't deal with bringing it in every week. They went in the back for 10-15 minutes and came out and said that they would do a one time replacement even though they could duplicate the problems (video distortion, wifi dropping). As they were doing the replacement the screen did flicker and went black. I was like :eek::mad: see I wasn't lying and they were like yes we see what you are talking about now. I bet they just throw the computer in the back and test it for 10 minutes and if they don't find a problem they give it back to you :rolleyes:.

wow that was pretty long hopefully that makes sense and I didn't leave anything out.

Hopefully I will have better luck.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Just a little update on where things are.

My first replacement was a display and a bottom case cover.
Last week I received a new logic board.
Tonight when I went to check on my computer they had replaced the RAM.
I should receive my computer tomorrow morning. It doesn't seem like I will be getting a replacement just yet.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
It was all a big software mess. I doubt I had a failing logic board. RAM might have been on the way out. On the plus side my computer is fixed on the down side I'm selling a two year old computer rather then a brand new current gen MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.