Applecare? where did it go?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hissori, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Hissori macrumors member

Hi, I bought my first macbook at futureshop today! It's great! Anyway, I also bought apple care and they said that its all on the receipt but I cant find it. Can someone point it out to me, and perhaps like what the code is, and what I should do with it? Like, what is the code like, is it 8 numbers? or 8 letters, etc.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you open the AppleCare box? Have you tried putting your serial number into Apple Support and seeing if you're already not under AppleCare?

3. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

I don't have an apple care box =\. All the guy said was "its all on the receipt"

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Does the math on the receipt add up as it actually being there? :confused:

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd check here first with your serial number. Even if you purchase AppleCare with your original purchase you should get an auto-registration box that doesn't contain the activation code.

6. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

@ nanofrog
    yea the math adds up. cost me 2068 in canada. the macbook is 1649 (education discount)

@eidorian

it says its not registered and expires in november

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd call Apple then. :confused:

Hopefully, they can straighten it out over the phone, and you won't have to waste the time and gas going to a store.

8. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

mmm.. but my purchase is from futureshop. I'll give them a call first tomorrow i guess. Thanks a lot!

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I did see that. :)

But it could still be worth a phone call. ;) It's all through Apple in the end anyway. :p

10. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

11. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the double post.

I think I found out whats going on. I don't think they sell applecare at futureshop. What they did I think is match their extended warranty to applecare's price.

What do you guys think? Should I just forget the hassle and just use futureshop warranty? Futureshop is also much more convenient for me compared to apple (apple is a 30 min drive from me compared to 10 for futureshop). They basically cover the same things right?

12. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I would take applecare over futureshop (or best buy or any retailer, really..). If you have a problem with the machine that isn't your fault, Apple will take care of you for 3 years from the date of purchase.

I'm almost certain futureshop would be harder to deal with in terms of getting things fixed and getting parts replaced or getting a whole new notebook.

Think about it... if they specifically said "applecare", they're already trying to trick you and make you pay more for something than you should have to pay. Do you really want to trust those people to fix your laptop?

For example... best buy's warranty for the new aluminum macbooks is $349.. which is $100 more than AppleCare..

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Return the "Extended Warranty". Then go to eBay or even Amazon and pick up the Apple Care at a lower price than Apple sells it directly.

The part numbers differ, as they are the "after system purchase" variety, but they are the same coverage. Many members have done this with no issues.

Just search the forum, as there's a number of threads covering this.

Good luck. :)

14. dckj95 macrumors member

applecare has been well known for its awesome support and the geniuses. :D getting the futureshop one may not be the best choice.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

phone support

Applecare also has phone support for the full three years. If you have a problem with your mac in September 2011, you can call them for free.

16. molala macrumors 6502a

AppleCare is also worldwide coverage. So if you have a problem with your laptop in another city or country, there is a store or if not, a phone number you can call to arrange pick up and repair.

This is also a plus if you sell your laptop within three years, you can sell it to anyone and they would get coverage from Apple in their city.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'd get a refund on the futureshop warranty and go Applecare.

My quick story: Bought employee a MB. After 14 months, MB battery wouldn't charge with X over battery icon. Bought new battery at "authorized Apple service center." Battery wouldn't charge either. Service center advised him he needed a new logic board at $1023. After three months of laptop being a desktop, filed AMEX extended warranty claim. I made an appt. for him w. Apple Genius for needed written diagnostics and repair estimate. Waaa, I don't want to drive an extra 20 minutes to take it to Apple Store employee cried.... Turns out, he had a freakin' bad battery. Apple replaced it free and now he looks like a dumbass to me and I look like a dumbass to AMEX.

GET APPLECARE, especially if it's same price. Get a refund and you can buy it anytime within one year. Hell, you might hat the computer and sell it before one year so wait until day 364.

18. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

NC MacGuy,
    What you failed to mention is that the AMEX extended warranty coverage is FREE.

I never purchase AppleCare. I buy with a major credit card (usually AMEX) and double the original manufacturer's warranty for free. Couple that with home owner's or rental insurance and you've got decent coverage for accidental damage as well.

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

dohhh! Thought everybody knew that but then again, that's what I get for thinking.:eek:

If you're buying a computer always buy it on AMEX if you can (unless others offer similar.) They were pretty darn quick to offer me full purchase price back on my card as a credit if in-fact the logic board was bad. All the paperwork was completed and submitted except the Apple genius evaluation and had it been belly up, I'd be replacing it with a new MB. They even handle any other repairs effectively giving you a two year warranty. Just keep all your receipts, original AMEX statement when purchased and warranty info.

They do not cover accidental warranty. It is ONLY double manufacturers warranty in time. As iMav posted, that's what other insurance is for.

20. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help guys! unfortunately, what happened was... they gave me the extended warranty for futureshop. However, I can't return it because it is charged on my dad's credit card, and he doesn't live with me. He left last night so... unless he visits within 13 days, I can't return it. Guess i'm stuck with the futureshop one =\