Applecare ... where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nunga, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Nunga macrumors newbie

Hi all

I'm waiting for Leopard to come out in October before buying a refurb Macbook Pro here in Canada.

I'll be moving back to the UK mid next year and wondered if I should buy Applecare here in Canada before I leave or when I'm back in the UK.

Apple's website advises purchasing Applecare in your country of residence (ie UK for the greater part of the Applecare warranty period) but it works out a fair bit cheaper to purchase here in Canada. It's CDN279 vs GBP231 at student prices.

I think that buying Applecare in Canada should be fine given global repair coverage (though I'm not sure if I could still get telephone technical support in the UK) but are there other services I would lose out on?

Would appreciate any thoughts on what the best way to go would be!

Thanks

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

3. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You should be able to purchase here and take your AppleCare with you. If you are concerned, then call Apple to see what they say.

5. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I've seen this question elsewhere and the answer has always been it's fine for a portable mac (macbook or macbook pro). I've heard mixed answers for just about everything else though.

6. cervaro macrumors regular

I bought my MBP Applecare package via an eBay seller and had it shipped to the UK for approximately £100, which is basically a third of the UK price charged by Apple. Warranty is valid Worldwide, so got myself a bargain for once!