AppleCare+ - who's in?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ksoze, Sep 24, 2013.

1. ksoze macrumors regular

Always a tough call - if you get it - never have to use it, if not - crunch as your 5S hits the pavement. AT&T's plan is not so good and home insurers seem to shy away these days.

For those who do buy AppleCare, it is also to be able to run caseless - makes that act much less of a tightrope act.

2. Mex330 macrumors newbie

I've had it on my iphone 4, never needed it. Had it on the 4s, had to use it 2 times. So I got it with the 5s

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I'm in, though the purchase I made on Sunday isn't reflecting on my Apple support page...it's still saying I'm only on a 1-year warranty.

Urgh, guess I'm gonna have to call 'em up later.

4. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I think the answer depends on how careful you are with your phone. I believe that out of warranty replacement is now $279. Applecare+ for the 5S is $99 and then $79 for an incident.

If you drop your phone in the toilet and need to replace it then with Applecare+ you're out $178 (the $99 cost and the $79 for the incident). Without it then you're out $279, so you've saved $111 with Applecare+

But if you don't ever need it, then you're still out $99 with Applecare+.

I'm careful with my phones and I look at it this way. I've had an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and now 5S and I've never purchased (or needed) Applecare+ on any of them. If I had purchased it on all of them I would have paid an extra $396. Say I drop my 5S in the toilet tomorrow and need to replace it. I'll pay $279 for the replacement, but I'll still be $196 ahead of where I'd be if I had purchased Applecare+ on all of my phones. ($396 to purchase applecare+ for my four phones plus $79 for the incident, minus the $279 I'd pay for an out of warranty replacement)

On the other hand if you can't get through a year without dropping your phone then Applecare+ might make sense for you.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it, attitude. I'm very careful, but accidents do happen, and just because I am careful, it takes just one time, and bingo, and I will be very happy with AppleCare + ;)

Just saying :D

PS: I will have a nice Tough Armor case on it as well

6. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

But like I said above... you're paying $99 per phone to have it and not need it. And if you need it and don't have it you're only out an extra $111.

If you're careful with your phones you'll come out ahead in the long run by not buying it even if you do drop your phone once.

But hey, each to their own... if you feel better with it, then by all means go ahead and purchase it:)

7. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

Both my original iPhone and my 3GS each developed manufacturer issues 12-16 months into ownership. My original developed strange lines of dead pixels. My 3GS's vibrate switch got super loose causing the phone to vibrate all the time. I was outside the year warranty in both instances and was super thankful I had AppleCare. I've yet to break an iPhone myself.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

We've had 5 iPod Touches, and a number of basic cell phones. We've never had any of them fail or break. Just purchased a 5s, and won't be getting AppleCare+.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I thought water damage was one of the few things excluded from AppleCare+ coverage.

10. ABC5S, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

Nope. Water damage is included

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_us_tc.pdf

"3.2 Accidental Damage from Handling
    If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling (“ADH”), Apple will, subject to the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability (both individually known as a “Service Event”). ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in its entirety before the end of the Plan Term when Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events. ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device. ADH coverage does not include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the...."

11. Synomenon macrumors regular

Aren't these phones at least $649 (base 5S model) and $549 (base 5C model)?

If you don't have AppleCare+ what happens to you after the manufacturer's warranty runs out? You pay $549 or $649 for a new unit, right?

12. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

No, Apple will do an out of warranty replacement for $279. It sucks if it's a problem that's not your fault, but it's much better than paying $649+

13. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

I signed up for it on my new 5S, I had it on my 4S but never used it.

14. ABC5S macrumors 68040

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

"My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?
    Apple offers two service options for iPhones that are not eligible for warranty service.

Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below".

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 $269
    iPhone 4S $199
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

15. djc6 macrumors 6502

"Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service."

Thats good to know. So it looks like for $269 I can have my 64GB iPhone 5S replaced if I put it through the laundry (which I have done before).

So yeah, perhaps I won't get AppleCare.