iPhone AppleCare with a jailbreak question about buying

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kiddk1, Nov 18, 2014.

1. kiddk1 macrumors regular

My iPhone 6 is less than two months old and I've already jailbroken it thanks to you guys my question is I want to call and add the two-year AppleCare plus and they said they have to run some diagnostics on my phone will they be able to tell if I am jailbroken?

2. Tmlfan3 macrumors regular

Back it up and restore it to new on 8.1 (quickly so it's still signed). Once they do their thing just JB and restore from backup. Would be the safest way to go I think.

3. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Good question but considering a JB is completely legal could they deny you the coverage?

4. dahauss macrumors regular

You only need to erase JB if you bring it in for service. Apple won't touch a JB phone.

5. dlmart2, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

Take it in a try it. Only if they deny you coverage should you restore and try again. Chances are they are just looking for water damage and heat damage... and a physical inspection.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

they said over the phone...when you purchase applecare+ over the phone they email or text you a link it runs a diagnostic and sends them a result

7. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

ok.. then do it.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3743

9. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes this is going to be done over the phone not in the store so I'm going to leave it jailbroken I'll post the results after I take care of it

Thank you

----------

While we're on the topic of jailbreaking, does anybody know the name of the Cydia app that gets rid of the three dots for iMessage to show that your texting I saw it the other day and for the life of me I cannot remember

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is it MessageEnhancer?

11. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

12. la79 macrumors regular

la79

I purchased applecare+ online via chat with Apple support. They did send an email with link to make sure it was your phone but that was all. Then they sent me a link to pay for it via email. Very simple.

My phone was and currently still is jailbroken on IOS 8.1. Didn't have a problem at all.

Did this with two phones. My own and my GFs.

13. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

Yea this has been discussed in other forums. Apple doesn't really check for JB when buying apple care.

14. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you

15. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. Apple doesn't want you to jailbreak because it means you leave their control. So, they pull out the worst events that can happen from jailbreaking and make it seem as if they are all a common occurrence - thereby justifying their position of opposing jailbreaking.

Never mind that these are all extreme circumstances that in many cases can be resolved or mitigated. Either by common sense or awareness. In most cases none of this is an issue at all!

My iPhone pretty much works they way I want it, I get excellent battery life and I really don't have a ton of issues and most of the issues I do have are minor or just because of iOS 7 itself.

Your mileage may vary of course, but Apple will always amplify the worst.

17. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I just posted a thread about this too actually.

So the test Apple ask you to run is okay?

I did contact chat and was sent the email link. I clicked it and it lead me to a page that said 'quick test' and 'extended test' but I didn't click either.

Those who have done this, which do Apple ask you to click and what happens after?

18. bushido Suspended

bushido

I especially "loved" this part

"
    Inability to apply future software updates: Some unauthorized modifications have caused damage to iOS that is not repairable. This can result in the hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iOS update is installed.

"

What a bunch of bs

19. la79 macrumors regular

la79

Yes click on it. Just verifies with Apple that your phone is yours and also is linked to your email address. Just makes sure you say who you are.

20. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I just did this yesterday. iPhone 6 jb on 8.1. Called apple. They send u a text message with a link to a diagnostic page. Press quick test. A ticket number gets generated. That's it. Don't worry

21. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

That's true man. If a first time jailbreaker sees that page he/she will never go through the jailbreak process. After you jailbreak what makes or breaks your phone is what you install. It is simple as that.

22. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally added it today, they didnt ask anything or do a diagnostic, they just added it

23. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I added apple care to my 6+ today. The phone was purchased a little more then 2 weeks ago and they just added it over the phone, no diagnosis needed