AppleCare with AT&T Next

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zord, May 16, 2014.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

Can anyone help me figure something out?

I'm looking to upgrade my iPhone 4S through the AT&T Next program to a 5S but I'm wondering how AppleCare factors into that. I'd like to be sure my new iPhone is protected for a while. Anyone have sole experience with this?

Thanks!

2. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

You'll either have to take the device to an apple store for visual inspection, or run a diagnostic test over the phone with AppleCare.

Either way, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to get it done.

Hope that helps... Sidenote, AT&T insurance is $6.99 a month.

3. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Also ad that AT&T has theft protection/replacement with that. :)

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You can buy AppleCare+ from AT&T if you get it at the same time you buy your iPhone. Also, I believe the insurance premium with theft coverage is higher ($10 a month?).

5. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Remember if you do the NEXT plan and trade that phone in you lose that AppleCare. Is it worth getting AppleCare if you are leasing a phone? If you break the device or it is lost you still have to pay for the original device and att will not allow you to trade a device you get from AppleCare in when you want to upgrade your NEXT device. AppleCare will benefit people on 2yr contracts more so...

6. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

That what I was thinking Ajones330. I'm not sure if it makes sense to get it on a "leased" iPhone. Still considering this.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You are not leasing a phone with AT&T Next. You're just buying it on installment with 0% interest. You don't have to give your phone back to AT&T if you don't want to in the same way you don't have to trade-in your old car when you buy a new one. Granted, if you have an outstanding balance on the loan, of course you still need to pay for the balance.

Needless to say, if you plan on trading in the phone at the 1-year mark, it's pointless to get AC+ for it.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No, AT&T's insurance is a flat $6.99/mo that includes damage, theft and lost coverage. The deductible is $199.

I have both AC+ and AT&T Insurance (I'm crazy, I know).

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

If that's true, then any iPhone that gets replaced under warranty (for any reason, like the headphone jack went out, so you Apple gives you a replacement iPhone) would be ineligible to be "traded-in" on NEXT, which I find hard to believe.

Do you have a link to where AT&T states that?

FWIW, you can cancel your AppleCare at any time (i.e. when you trade your old phone in on NEXT). Apple deducts a processing fee IIRC, and then does a pro-rated refund for the length of AppleCare that you didn't use.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5688?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

10. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Good stuff! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info.

11. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

The 3.99 is a junk fee for lame services, such as find my phone etc... So as mentioned the "insurance" is just 6.99.