AppleCare with Education Discount on a Refurb Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kolax, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I chatted to an online Apple Store helper and he really couldn't give me an answer. Basically, if I buy a refurb Mac, can I get education discount on the AppleCare? Whenever I log in to my uni's VPN to access the higher education page and go to refurb, and add one to basket, I get an Apple Store error. So I can't find out if the AppleCare would be discounted through the education store on a refurb model.

I know I can't get discount on the refurb model - it is just the AppleCare.

Has anyone done something similar?

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Could it be a problem with your VPN?

I went to the Apple Store site, checked the price of Applecare for a Macbook/Air/MBP13" (was $249), then went back in my browser, went to the Education Store link, added my school info, checked the price of Applecare for a Macbook/Air/MBP13" and it was $183.

There is no "refurb price" on Applecare... only the Edu discount. And I've never had a problem getting Applecare on refurb products before.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah that's good. The VPN my uni uses is pretty naff. If all else fails, I could just order over the phone I guess.

Thanks.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You don't have to purchase Applecare at the same time as your Mac. I buy on the refurb store (no educational discount on refurbs so no need to use the Educational store) and then pick up a copy of Applecare on the Educational Store. If you don't need the telephone support (Apple Store nearby?) you can wait up to a year before purchasing Applecare.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Just noticed that the AppleCare pricing on the higher education store is £220 as a standalone product. However, if I was to buy a new Mac (not a refurb) on the higher education store, I can get AppleCare for £58.75.