AppleCare with new iMac 27" 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Japanmac, May 16, 2015.

1. Japanmac macrumors newbie

Japanmac

This is my first post!

I want to get an iMac 27" 5K and can't decide whether the pay the little extra to get AppleCare?
    I am leaning towards getting it

Any thoughts?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I think of it as peace of mind. You have a year to purchase it, so that gives you the time to carefully think it over. It adds 2 years warranty and telephone support to your iMac. Think about how much the iMac is going to cost you and if you can afford the expense of repairs should something go wrong after 1 year.

I personally put AppleCare on all my devices. I have had to only use it once over the years, but it was more than worth it. The repair cost I would have incurred to have my iMac fixed would have cost me almost as much as buying a new machine. So I think it is more than worth having. Everything built has a chance of failure. Final decision is up to you.

3. miked2023 macrumors newbie

It comes free it you purchase from Adorama if that helps. It did for me! Either way, it being a 1st gen product, I think it's better to be safe and go with it. My .02

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Buying it is an EXTREMELY smart decision. You can buy it discounted from many authorized Apple resellers such as B&H Photo and one poster mentioned if you buy the computer form Adorama they are currently running a promotion where some configurations include AppleCare.

5. AliceDK macrumors newbie

It really depends on where you're geographically located. I can see you live in Japan and I don't know about your warranty laws but here in Denmark you have two years of warranty - Apple or no Apple - so I didn't really care for AppleCare (no pun intended).

6. Japanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Japanmac

7. AliceDK macrumors newbie

If it gives you the peace of mind then go with it. :)

My experience is that if the product doesn't fail in its first 6-12 months then it's highly unlikely it will fail during its warranty period unless you're careless - and I don't know if AppleCare covers 'carelessness'.

I have insurance on all my electronic appliances through my insurance company. This costs me less than $100 per year.

What matters is how YOU feel about it. Like I wrote - if it gives you the peace of mind, then go with it.

/Alice

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Remember the iMac display is first gen. If that display goes, you're looking at spending probably 5-6 times the cost of AppleCare to get it repaired.

9. dor macrumors member

dor

Get it. I needed to replace my 27" iMac (2012) screen 3 times, which fortunately was under warranty.

10. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

It's a mighty nice machine - having peace of mind on top may maximise your enjoyment of it :)

11. Macmamamac macrumors regular

Yes, always purchase it.

My 2007 iMac had harddrive failure just before the 3 years were coming to an end, and it's been going strong ever since -- I installed a ssd beginning of last year.

All of my Mac products have something go wrong unfortunately. Sometimes it's my own fault like when I dropped the iPad, but apple care covered the broken screen.

12. cynics macrumors G3

I'm not usually one that buys an extended warranty.

However that wasn't the case with my iMac.

1. I feel the price was OK for the duration of the warranty. Basically I'm ok with losing that money if I don't use the warranty. But in the event that I need it its price is insignificant compared to buying a new iMac. Some warranties cost nearly as much as the product you are buying.

2. Its through Apple which is the OEM. Unlike a warranty through Best Buy or some other third party that makes you jump through 20 hoops to eventually get what you paid for (if you ever do) Apple makes it easy.

3. From what I read they generally help you beyond expectations or at least up to your expectation. For example, computer warranty through Best Buy you might have to ship out your computer so they can fix it and even then your problem isn't fixed or returns with other problems. Its not uncommon for Apple to give you a new computer in a relatively short amount of time and send you on your way.

Like others have mentioned, its peace of mind. But I also feel its an experience (which is generally positive) that makes it worthwhile.

13. gez1 macrumors newbie

Just did

Just order my 5k iMac and went for the Apple care...
    For the cost, the 3 years cover is a must!

14. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Almost all consumer advocacy groups, like Consumer Reports, will advise against extended warranty purchases, which is essentially what AppleCare is (I think you get some extra phone support). You are betting the machine will fail; Apple is betting it will last three years. In this case house wins.

You'll find tons of anecdotal reports of how AppleCare saved someone's investment of course. But on a strictly statistical basis it's a poor investment.

And consider whether your gov't provides extra mandatory warranty, whether your credit card give you an extended warranty, or whether a more comprehensive insurance policy for things like breakage, theft, etc might be money better spent. Depends on your assessment of risks.

15. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

phone support

The phone support is worth it alone if you don't live near an apple store. My wife got help from them on the phone for software issues that were not apples fault. I have gotten a lot of help for other problems free of charge for items long out of warrenty The hardware I don't worry to much about but other problems come up that phone support or the apple genius bar come in handy for.