AppleCare without Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Harry Dresden, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Harry Dresden macrumors newbie

I want to buy a Mac with AppleCare but there is no Apple Store/AASP/AAD near (I live in the Imperial Valley), I will need to travel to the San Diego for tech support?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

For many things you can just call Apple. If it requires a hardware fix, and you have no third-party service centers around, you'll have to decide between taking it to the Apple Store in San Diego or asking AppleCare to mail you a box, which will likely take longer but wouldn't require the drive.

jW

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

See if there is any authorized apple repair shops new you that will honor applecare.

4. Harry Dresden thread starter macrumors newbie

My guess is that the answer is no cause I already discarded any AASP/AAD near here. I think my only option will be to buy at BestBuy and a guarantee to them. :/

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

If I were in your situation and getting a portable, I'd get AppleCare over the Best Buy warranty.

I've used AppleCares mail-in service twice for notebooks. One I dropped off at FedEx Tue evening and had back in my hands first thing Thursday morning, which was less than 48 hours. Everything was priority overnight shipping, no cost to me. The second experience was about a week, but the part was on backorder everywhere, so no other method would have been quicker.

Virtually all Best Buys send broken Macs to a repair depot to get fixed, so even though they may have a local store near you where you can drop it off, there is still shipping going on behind the scenes.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Portables you can mail. Desktops include on-site support if they can diagnose the problem over the phone first.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

try squaretrade.com

all they sell are warranties:cool: