Applecare won't give me restore discs!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrettFarve04, Oct 8, 2008.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

This is self explanatory. Does anyone have any extra 10.5 restore discs laying around that they would donate or possibly sell?? Applecare won't send me new discs. I still have well over 2 years left on my applecare i don't get it!!!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Call a local apple store, they might be able to do something for you.

3. jdwingnut macrumors regular

What were their reasons for not giving them to you.

I've requested these in the past and have never been told no. They've even sent disks for machines that were out of warranty.

If you have the originals, you should be able to take them into a local Apple store and have them duplicated from the store copies.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

At worst, they sell them. Call apple support.

5. Habusho macrumors 6502

Why is it surprising. Does Microsoft just give out new Windows CDs to people? A copy of Leopard is inside the replacement discs so, that's probably why they don't want to give it to you.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This comparision is a little out of whack.

Does Microsoft give out (or sell) restore disks for a Dell Inspiron 1501? No but DELL does! Microsoft didn't make the computer so they have no obligation to supply either via purchase or giving a set of restore disks for a "COMPUTER" since the restore disks are 'branded' for that vendor and that vendors make and model (also on restore disks usually are bundled apps/demos/support software etc) Dell on the other hand will send your (either purchase or their good nature HAHA NOT) a set of restore disks. So is the same with Apple since they are the hardware manufacturers as well.

We all know (well at least most of us) that the restore disks are unique to the machine model so regardless if leopard, tiger, whatever is on the disk, it still will only install on said model.

At least give a better example than the one you gave.

They DO sell the restore disks for a minimal charge. Yah, they aren't going to GIVE you the disks, but they will sell em to you. Either there's a missunderstanding on their side or yours, but you CAN get replacements.

7. Habusho macrumors 6502

Apple isn't Dell. They receive large amounts of revenue (at least initially) from their OSs'. With Microsoft, they have the added benefit of having an activation program in place which ties in the OS to a specific machine. You have to activate that copy of Windows to your machine. Apple doesn't. Even though, restore discs are tied down to certain models of machines, they can be used to install the OS on any other machine if I'm not mistaken.

8. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

So yeah i just called Applecare and they said that they would ship me 10.4 (tiger) discs. I told them that I have had leopard since i got my computer and that I want to be compensated for what I have. And they said tough luck.....why won't they give me the 10.5 discs like I'm supposed to have!!!! i'm sooooo mad:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

can you tell us what they actually said?

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

Couple of questions.

Did you purchase your computer before Leopard shipped (what was the purchase date)?

Did you purchase a Leopard upgrade for it or a retail copy of Leopard? If so, do you have the receipt from the purchase?

Apple Care is somewhat inflexible at times, but I've found if you point how the idiocy in their policy then they can bend a bit.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

When I have called Apple to purchase replacement disks on two occasions (they call the replacement system restore disks fulfillment disks BTW) the first thing they have requested was the serial number of the Mac in question. They said they needed that so that the fulfillment disks were the exact set that shipped with the machine, so if an individual Mac shipped with Tiger, Tiger you will get.

Now if the machines started shipping with Leopard the next week and you called in with one of those serial numbers, the disks you would get would be Leopard based.